FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cutting 5D mark 2 footage into a Sony EX1 project

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chandler Kauffman
Cutting 5D mark 2 footage into a Sony EX1 project
on Jan 16, 2010 at 11:15:13 pm

Getting ready to shoot a bunch of b roll with my 5d mark 2 to intercut with footage from my Sony EX1 which I shot and am editing in FCP as 23.98 1080P. The 5D2 footage is mostly underwater so sound doesn't matter, essentially shooting MOS.
Here's what I'm thinking for post:
convert h.264 to XDCAM 422 (figure why not go for the better color sampling) using MPEG Streamclip. I'm open to using Compressor but it's been too slow the times I've tried it.
Short of any other ideas I'm going to use the workflow described here to convert to 23.98 without adding slow mo http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=594&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10#p8...
Then bring it into the FCP XDCAM timeline.
Anyone have any tips or tricks?
Thanks

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Cutting 5D mark 2 footage into a Sony EX1 project
on Jan 18, 2010 at 12:49:04 pm

Hi Chandlers,
The workflow in the link is a real mess.
You can not conform when going from 30fps to 24 or 23'98.
Comforming is OK when going from 25 to 24 or 23'98, but not when we start with 30fps.
And to keep the audio in synk the way is to export an AIFF or WAVE and delete the TC track.
Go to Compressor (Try retiming "Better" first than "Best". Best apply "Optic Flow" and reprocess the whole picture. You end up with a too much artificial picture without a pixel from the original.
You may try as well MPGSTreamclip. Transcode and change the time base at once. See if is OK for you because is much faster than Compressor with "Frame Control ON".
BTW, NEVER transcode from a very compressed format (H264) to another very compressed one (XDCAM).
Go to prores.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]