FORUMS: list search recent posts

project planning and 7D/5D frame rates

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Golon
project planning and 7D/5D frame rates
on Jun 24, 2010 at 6:10:32 pm

Hi. I'm planning to shoot a project with a 5D and a 7D. I know that I will eventually slow mo about a quarter of my footage, but am unsure of exactly what clips I'll slow down until everything has been shot and editing begins. I'm planning to shoot the scenes I know will stay at 24fps with my 5D and the others with the 7D. So here are my questions:

1. If I record footage at 60fps and then decide I would like it to be 24fps but stay at normal speed (no slow mo), is there a way to convert the 60fps to 24fps without losing a lot of quality?

2. What if I shoot everything at 24fps... would slowing footage somewhere between 50 and 75 percent look terrible?

Also, while I would prefer the look of 24fps, if there is a good reason why I should everything at 30fps and 60fps, I would be open to that as well.

Thanks!

Nathan

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: project planning and 7D/5D frame rates
on Jun 24, 2010 at 6:19:19 pm

If you want to do the slo mo in camera you need to plan for it and shoot it that way. Any other way is a compromise. Going from 60 to 24, is not exact so there has to be some frame blending (lose of quality). Doing slo mo in post requires plugins to help get a good result.

But will this look horrible, no, it can be done you need to be doing test of the entire workflow it see what works best for your situation and still gives you acceptable results. With production there is no, do this and you will be fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]