FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zeiss vs. Nikkor

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Casillas
Zeiss vs. Nikkor
on Jun 23, 2010 at 4:15:06 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm an experienced shooter but new to DSLRs. I'm getting my list of lenses that i will buy for a brand new 7D. I know that Zeiss lenses are better in quality than Nikkor, but I would like to see the difference for my own eyes.

If there is someone out there that can shoot the same scene with a Zeiss lens and a same size Nikkor (same f-stop and picture style too) i would greatly appreciate it. Preferably primes. Please post the video somewhere with excellent video compression, Vimeo for example. This isn't just for me, but also to convince my boss that getting better quality glass is money well spent (or not).

Thanks so much.
Jason Casillas

Jason Casillas

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: Zeiss vs. Nikkor
on Jun 23, 2010 at 10:58:42 pm

I am biased and have been with Canon L Series Lens for over 20 years ,and cannot fault the performance, but, check with a lens comparison site, both should be very good . Ziess lens we have used on a Hasselblad are very, very good indeed.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:06:59 pm

The comparison might not be that realistic. The Nikkor lenses that people are using on the 7D are the early manual ones with an aperture ring, as the 7D body can't control a modern Nikon aperture from the body.

So a Nikkor lens from the 1960's to 1980, such as a 50mm prime will cost around $50 depending on f stop. I just bought an early 1960's Nikkormat complete with Nikkor 50mm f2 in excellent condition for $30.

A Zeiss planar 50mm 1.4 lens is going to cost $725, for $725 you could have a bagful of used Nikkor glass.

I have four Nikkor manual lenses and use them all the time on the 7D, I find them excellent quality. For still photos I wouldn't use them as they are soft, but for video they are great.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Dane Silzle
on Jun 25, 2010 at 5:49:03 pm

WOW, $30.00 you can't go wrong !

Regarding Zeiss ZF lenses, they tend to have a bit more contrast
which in my liking/opinion is a PLUS/a-good thing,
as the Canon's all seam bit soft (fore my liking).

You can find the 50mm f1.4 Planar in the $500 range.
I also have the 85mm f1.4 planar I use them on Commercial
Shoots quite regularly.

Whether your making commercials,Making indy's, or just using the camera as an enthusiast, there's alot of options on ebay.

Have fun Enjoy,

Dane
Canon 7D, T2i, GH1(13)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]