FORUMS: list search recent posts

7D CR2 into FCP

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aaron moore
7D CR2 into FCP
on Jun 23, 2010 at 4:14:34 pm

My next 7Dilemma. see what I did there. 7D, 7Dilemma. I crack my self up sometimes. Anyways this project calls for green screen and plates. Some plates were video and some were stills. We shot the still plates with the 7D in CR2 format (canon raw file) thinking "the more info the better". I am having trouble importing them into FCP. And I can't open them in photoshop (cs3) to save them in a smaller size. Let the advise begin!

I am running FCP 6 on a 8 core 2.8 mac pro.

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
Re: 7D CR2 into FCP
on Jun 23, 2010 at 5:33:42 pm

Yep you can't get raw files into FCP (or any other NLE that I know of) Your best bet is to convert them to a lossless format like tiff or psd to use in your project. The reason you can't open them in your version of photoshop is you'll need to go download the latest version of the Adobe camera raw ( I think its v. 6.1). I'm pretty sure that'll work with CS3.

Just keep in mind its in the raw conversion where ideally you'd do most of your color correction and tweaking. Also keep in mind if you're going to be using Apple Color to do a final grade of your project the max frame size that color supports for stills is the max frame size of the app which is 4096 x 2304. You're stills would need to be that size or smaller to work in Color if you go that route for final grading of the project

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Joe Galligan
on May 31, 2012 at 7:56:47 am

What is the best program to use to convert the CR2 files to TIFFs to use in FCP 7?

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on May 31, 2012 at 5:57:24 pm

If you don't have Photoshop, use Digital Photo Professional...the software that came with your 7D. You can batch convert from there.

Return to posts index

Joe Galligan
on May 31, 2012 at 7:52:54 pm

I forgot to give all of the details: I am working on a project from a second party drive. I don't have Photoshop or access to the original software on camera.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Jun 24, 2010 at 7:24:23 am

You need to convert the RAW to jpeg. Photoshop should do this, if you have the necessary version / plugins etc.

The camera normally records a RAW and a jpeg version.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 24, 2010 at 11:00:59 am

Aperture iPhoto can too one you already own

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

David Mc Lean
on Mar 11, 2011 at 3:10:54 am

Would Adobe Encore have a better workflow with this? I'd love to be able to put raw and 5D footage together, bypassing the raw to jpg...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]