FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon L-1 lens (Hi 8 camcorder) on T-2 DSLR

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marty Hamrick
Canon L-1 lens (Hi 8 camcorder) on T-2 DSLR
on Jun 23, 2010 at 12:20:56 pm

I'm looking into purchasing a Canon T-2. I have an old L-1 at my disposal and I was wondering if the 10x zoom VL lens can be used succesfully without vignetting on the wide end and if so, what kind of adaptor will be needed and what kind of results should I expect?

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: Canon L-1 lens (Hi 8 camcorder) on T-2 DSLR
on Jun 23, 2010 at 8:31:27 pm

There does not appear to be an adapter that would do what you want, but there's plenty of reasons why you shouldn't do it in case it makes you feel better.

The APS-C sensor in the Canon T2i (I assume that's what you're looking at) is approximately 22.3 x 14.9 mm while a 1/2" sensor like what the L1 has is around 6.4 x 4.8mm. That lens won't be able to cover more than a tiny bit of the large sensor without extreme vignetting.

Even if it did work, that lens only had to be sharp enough to resolve a standard-definition TV image. It'd be a blurry mess on a DSLR.

You can adapt lenses from a variety of older SLR cameras to the T2i. Most Nikon F-mount, Pentax, Olympus, Contax/Zeiss, and some other lenses can be fitted using affordable (under $30 or so) adapters. I'm using older Olympus primes that were found at yard sales with great results. Of course, you lose autofocus and have to use stop-down metering on the lenses in most cases, but you can get great glass for cheap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]