FORUMS: list search recent posts

7D footage

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aaron moore
7D footage
on Jun 22, 2010 at 9:48:22 pm

I am a bit new to the 7D work flow. I have a hard drive full of footage shot with the 7D. Do I need to run it through "streamclip" or something? I tried to transfer the files using the Canon plugin but i got an error that said:

"x" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

I tried to just import the files directly into FCP and they seem to play fine. The files look to be MOV files. Is there a problem just importing the files from the drive into FCP?

Return to posts index

Greg Brand
Re: 7D footage
on Jun 22, 2010 at 10:48:26 pm

Hi aaron

yeah you will start seeing problems once you begin grading or adding effects to the clips and trying to render the sequence. will prob take much longer to render the .mov H.264 clips.
as well as when you try and render your final video.
fcp may well start to throw out errors then.

worth giving it a try as you can always just proxy the clips afterwards and then link to the new clips.

if you not sure on the proxy thing, i may have a small tut on my site
gregbrand.co.uk

otherwise to be safe use mpeg streamclip and encode into Pro ress for best quality before editing.

hope that helps

Greg

http://gregbrand.co.uk

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 22, 2010 at 10:57:30 pm

Can't use log and transfer unless you also have thubmnail files from card

For FCP... transcode is best workflow.

Personally we offline in Premiere Pro for native support... then medua manage and color grade in Apple Color with ProRes

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

aaron moore
on Jun 22, 2010 at 11:24:57 pm

The thubmnail files are in there. I am on FCP 6 if that makes a difference.

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Jun 23, 2010 at 12:05:17 am

H.264 files are a delivery codec, highly compressed, they are not really a format computer friendly to edit from. When you transcode the footage you will see the files get much larger 4 times the size.

I use Cineform Neoscene which has a great transcoding format and produces a 4.2.2 .avi file.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
on Jun 23, 2010 at 9:48:49 am

Hi Aaron,

Either ProRes or CineformĀ“s NeoScene are your best solutions. Although the new CS5 offers a Mercury Playback engine, transcoding to some intermediate format still works better if you do extensive VFX or CC-work with the files. Since you use FCP, ProRes 422 probably is your best choice then.

Richard van den Boogaard
cameraman / editor / video marketing consultant

Branded Channels
W: http://www.brandedchannels.com

Return to posts index

Eileen Cowin
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:29:48 pm

I am having the same issue. I did convert the files in Compressor but...I might have used the wrong settings. Should I have used the ProRes for interlaced video or progressive? And...the frame rate is 23.97- do I keep that setting?

Thanks,
Eileen

Return to posts index

David Shulkin
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:38:35 pm

Eileen:
This might depend on what frame rate you set up your camera with.
The video is all progressive regardless of the frame rate. Your choices are 30p (29.97), 24p (23.97), 25p. So just confirm your frame rate and make sure you keep it progressive. Should work out fine.

Return to posts index

David Shulkin
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:43:14 pm

Eileen:
Forgot to mention that you are in 1920x1080 or you could be in 1270x720/60fps. Just confirm your raster size and frame rate and match to the Compressor settings.

Return to posts index

Eileen Cowin
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:52:36 pm

David,

When I get to my studio this afternoon I will check the settings.
I didn't shoot the piece- I am just editing. And..I have never worked with this footage before.
I do know the frame rate was 23.97 but when I saw 1080i I wondered if I should have used the ProRes interlaced codec instead of Progressive.
I really appreciate your help with this.

Eileen

Return to posts index

Eileen Cowin
on Jun 23, 2010 at 6:54:41 pm

David,
I think I am set...everything is the same: 1920x1080 and 23.98!

Thanks so much for your help. I don't know why I even bother researching anything...I should always go straight to this forum.

Eileen

Return to posts index

David Shulkin
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:31:23 pm

Aaron:
One other note to consider - are you on Snow Leopard (10.6.x)? I know you mentioned FCP 6.x, but the Canon plugin needs to be on Snow Leopard as I recall.

My workflow is to run my clips through MPEG Streamclip to ProRes(HQ) - works like a charm - but I have also used the Canon plugin with success - nice to log clips, etc.

While a tad more cumbersome, don't forget Compressor as a possible option if you have a ton of clips and you just need to batch and control (and utilize more processors).

Return to posts index

aaron moore
on Jun 23, 2010 at 3:59:57 pm

David,
Ah,haa. That might be it. I am not on Snow Leopard. Im on 10.5.8. I didn't know it needed 10.6. Thanks for that. I have been using MPEG Streamclip. Works great I was just hoping that the Canon plugin would be faster. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Return to posts index

steve sweik
on Jun 23, 2010 at 10:43:20 pm

Dave! How's it going? Hope you are well
~Steve

It's only 30 seconds, how hard can it be?

Return to posts index

Patrick Brady
on Aug 2, 2010 at 10:48:58 pm

You mentioned you had a hard drive full of Canon 7D footage: the Canon plug-in for FCP expects a CF Card from the camera. The "invalid directory structure error" often means that the files are arranged differently from the way they would be on a CF Card. To read a folder on a hard drive as a 7D Volume, start with a parent folder to act as your volume, let's call it "MyFootage". Inside MyFootage, make a new folder called "DCIM" and then inside of DCIM make a folder called "100EOS7D". Place all of your Canon files in the 100EOS7D folder, then go into FCP Log and Transfer and mount the "MyFootage" folder using the Ad Volume button or CMD+I. It should read in just like a CF Card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]