FORUMS: list search recent posts

D90 and rolling shutter

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
D90 and rolling shutter
on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:33:13 pm

I'm planning to buy a camera for DSLR video shooting, and the D90 is relatively affordable. One camera shop tells me it's full frame; another tells me it's not. Which is true?

Also, how do you prevent skewing of image (aside from panning slowly and avoiding fast moving subjects)? Will shooting on a high shutter speed prevent that?

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: D90 and rolling shutter
on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:43:04 pm

Rolling shutter cannot be avoided on DSLR cameras only mitigated through careful non-use of things like whip pans and strobe lights. The D90 is not full frame as far as I know- not unless it suddenly jumped up to 21 megapixels that is..

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:52:34 pm

So if the question is, is this camera a full 35mm sensor, the answer is NO.-
The Nikon DX format is an alternative name used by Nikon corporation for APS-C image sensor format being approximately 24×16 mm. Its dimensions are about 2/3 those of the 35mm film format (29mm vs 43mm diagonal, approx.). The format was created by Nikon for its digital SLR cameras, many of which are equipped with DX-sized sensors. DX format is very similar in size to sensors referred to by other camera manufacturers (Canon, Pentax, and Sony) as APS-C, so the terms are sometimes used interchangeably.

If the question is the viewfinder full frame, the answer is NO -
Viewfinder Frame CoverageApprox. 96%

Unless you move up to cameras in the $2500 and up range, they will have the smaller sensor. All that to be said, unless you have a bunch of $$ in Nikon glass I would look at the Canon 7D, Canons are running away with the video on DSLR. NOt knocking the Nikon but you should look at the Canons and if you want full size sensors that it is the 5D.

[clyde villegas] "Also, how do you prevent skewing of image (aside from panning slowly and avoiding fast moving subjects)? Will shooting on a high shutter speed prevent that? "
While it may it would introduce more of a strobing effect like you see in the Gladiator fight scenes.

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Jun 22, 2010 at 2:12:14 am

What can you say about the 5D and 7D in terms of image skewing? Are they better than the D90? Is 5D better than the 7D in that regard?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 22, 2010 at 2:48:40 am

If image skewing is an issue for you stay away from DSLR. Every camera will have it. But as Noah said, You need to shoot within its means and you are will be okay. Every CMOS camera will have this.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 22, 2010 at 3:48:05 am

Yes the 5D is better than the 7D is better than the D90...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Jun 23, 2010 at 3:59:44 am

Thanks guys. I'll stick with the camcorder + adapter + lens setup for now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]