FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR Training Recommendations

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Grizzle
DSLR Training Recommendations
on Jun 19, 2010 at 12:18:55 am

DSLR video is evolving so rapidly, all training is dated the day after release. However, I have enjoyed the following titles:

Photography Video Workflow: Final Cut Pro + Canon 5D Mark II [lynda.com online training]

Phillip Bloom 5D Mk II from F-Stop Academy.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DSLR Training Recommendations
on Jun 19, 2010 at 5:05:19 am

[Danny Grizzle] "all training is dated the day after release"

totally not true, good theory last a lifetime. specs change, some of the buttons change but 90% or the info is usable.

I would add From Still to Motion as a steal. Written in part by Richard and Robbie that you find on the cow. It is about $40 on amazon.

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Jun 19, 2010 at 12:42:32 pm

Thanks Michael!

Our book covers a lot plus there is 6+ hours of additional video training demo footage and other things on the DVD and we have a pretty interactive facebook page you can find here

http://www.facebook.com/DSLRVideo

I will say that do enjoy the DVDs that Philip has done too!

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Joshua King Ortiz
on Jun 19, 2010 at 7:14:02 pm

If you're a beginner who is just starting to learn about HDSLR for video purposes, I recommend Philip Bloom's videos. If you've already done some research and need more in depth information I have just bought and read Robbie's book, From Still To Motion, and it is packed with useful information. This is the second book of his I have bought and both are like bibles. The books are very fun to read and interactive and the extras included in the DVD companion are great as well.

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jun 22, 2010 at 3:20:01 pm

Robbie, I've ordered 3 of your books from Amazon over the last few days:

+ Video Made on a Mac

+ Final Cut Pro Workflows

+ From Still to Motion

Which should I read first?

Or, more generally, who is the target audience for each book, which one is most current, etc.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:49:57 pm

Thanks for buying the books!

From Still to Motion is the newest and most germane to this forum. It talks about DSLR video production for pre-pro through final finishing. While aimed at photographers making the switch to video it has a little bit of everything.

Video Made on a Mac is all about integrating Adobe Creative Suite and FInal Cut Studio to accomplish powerful workflows.

Final Cut Worfklows is a few years old now but fills a void in FCP books as its not a button pushing book, its more of well a workflows book. We talk about everything from video hardware and decks and compression, to review and approval, and finishing. The last part of the book are all case studies written in narrtive that put the rest of the book in to action. We hope to revising this book soon

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jul 4, 2010 at 3:28:48 am

Robbie,

Now a few days later, I have been watching your Color training on lynda.com.

Just thought I would add a recommendation to others on these titles because I am enjoying them.

A few days ago, I posted something on this thread to the effect of disliking many online trainers. This is true, but does not apply to you. The thing that really wears me out is trainers who verbalize too much information, and specifically recite every command key equivalent in every instance they are used. And as if that were not enough, stating both Mac and Windows variants.

Your presentations are just right.

I have read of studies which claim humans can process speech much faster than words can be spoken. I'm sure that's true in casual conversation. But when it comes to advanced technical details, it is exhausting for the mind to parse a deluge of superfluous information. Language use in long technical training titles needs avoid overstimulation, much like neutral lighting in a color grading room.

Thanks for the good work!

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
on Jun 20, 2010 at 3:04:29 am

Check out the 3-day workshop from Vincent Laforet - very in-depth and worthwhile... still learning...

http://creativelive.com/courses/vince_laforet/

Richard van den Boogaard
cameraman / editor / video marketing consultant

Branded Channels
W: http://www.brandedchannels.com

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jun 29, 2010 at 5:45:50 pm

I watched a bit of Vincent Laforet hosted on the B&H Photo website, and it was good.

I won't name names in public, but I am building a list -- currently containing names of three famous media production trainers -- whose offerings need to contain notice of serious side-effects including suicidal thoughts.

In general, I can't stand the guys who bury key concepts in blizzards of arcane verbosity. These are the trainers who are too impressed with their own prolific knowledge and too in love with the sound of their own voice. They are never satisfied with one word when they can breathlessly spew forth 50 instead. After the first 15 minutes watching their videos, it is bad as living next to a talentless heavy metal band tirelessly rehearsing 24/7.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]