FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple ISO question for 7D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Petersen
Simple ISO question for 7D
on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:45:28 pm

Call me crazy, but I thought I was able to manually change the ISO in Program mode...or any mode besides Manual. I can only change it in Manual mode, but I could have sworn that I used to be able to do it in any other mode. Am I crazy or is there something wrong with my camera?

Thanks!
Casey

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Simple ISO question for 7D
on Jun 18, 2010 at 5:01:21 pm

You can also change it is Tv and Av modes, P = totally auto. other modes are directed auto.

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Jun 18, 2010 at 5:05:19 pm

Hmm...in movie mode, I can only change the ISO in Manual mode, but in photo mode, I can change the ISO in any mode (P, TV, AV, M). In movie mode, the ISO is automatic in all modes except Manual. Is that right?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 18, 2010 at 5:16:57 pm

I didn't know you were asking about movie mode. I have the T2i which only has a manual or auto mode for movies but I was wrong about the ISO anyway in P mode, it is the Sports, portrait type modes that are locked into auto ISO. I' totally confused today, I keep thinking it is Saturday. I have issues.

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Jun 18, 2010 at 5:27:11 pm

I guess this isn't so simple a question after all!

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Jun 18, 2010 at 7:40:57 pm

No you can't select the iso in Tv, Av & P. As previously stated P is full auto so you can't influence the outcome or see the iso.

In Tv you select the shutter speed but if it is too bright or too dark for that shutter speed, the camera will compensate with the aperture, iso and shutter speed. On Tv & Av you do see the iso being selected by the camera.

Most people shoot manual for movies because shutter speed is important, Tv while you select a shutter speed, the camera will change it to suit the light level, so you run the risk of having 30 fps being filmed with a 125th shutter speed, which might lead to a strobing effect and a boosted iso.

These cameras in movie mode are nowhere close to being a point and shoot. Choose manual for shutter speed, iso and aperture, that way you get consistent results.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 18, 2010 at 10:06:17 pm

[Norman Pogson] "
No you can't select the iso in Tv, Av & P. As previously stated P is full auto so you can't influence the outcome or see the iso."

Are you talking about movie mode or still?

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Jun 20, 2010 at 2:31:14 pm

Movie mode

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]