FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video with bigger L glass?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Subolefsky
Video with bigger L glass?
on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:39:14 pm

Anyone have experance shooting longer range video with either the 300, 400 L's or the 100-400L on a T2i?

I have used the kit lens and 55-250 a bit but want to step it up thanks...Joe

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Video with bigger L glass?
on Jun 18, 2010 at 5:06:28 pm

As long as it is on a tripod, a good tripod you will be fine, will look great.

The problem with long lenses and video is to get sharp images you need to shoot faster frame rates which you normally cannot in video. So for stills if you have a 300mm lens you would normally not handhold it under 1/320. IS helps a bit with that but no way to get sharp images with a 200 or 300mm at 1/50. Well, unless you are a human statue.

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
on Jun 18, 2010 at 6:16:12 pm

On longer lenses, the leverage will easily create camera movement. You probably need to mount the lens to the tripod, not the body itself. You can do this with most of the longer Canon lenses. Get it properly balanced out before using it or lock it off completely and make sure it's not too windy.

Also, do note that everything becomes more compressed when using longer lenses.

Richard van den Boogaard
cameraman / editor / video marketing consultant

Branded Channels
W: http://www.brandedchannels.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 18, 2010 at 6:57:17 pm

I've shot quite a bit with the 100-400L - nice lens for sure - not as nice as the 70-200 2.8L but longer if that's what you're going for. You may want to check out a place like lensrentals.com and rent a few different L series lenses and play with them before taking the plunge.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jun 19, 2010 at 1:45:11 pm

I'd be concerned about needing an exceptional tripod and fluid head with longer focal length lenses. My experience is correct fluid head match to load is essential -- too much or too little fluid head for the lens you are using, and your shots are ruined. This is a real complication for long lenses.

Never used one, but the gimbal head mounts used by still photographers (Wimberly heads) are said to make these lenses much more manageable versus typical top-heavy mounting. Normally, a still tripod head is a horrible idea for video, but if you are going to shoot extensively with long lenses, I think it would be worth your while to rent a beefy tripod and Wimberly head from lensrentals.com. The Wimberly might prove serviceable for video based on the fact they are used for wildlife -- particularly birding -- not just photography, but long binoculars also -- where it is essential to smoothly track the erratic motion of bird in flight.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Lawrence
on Jun 22, 2010 at 7:21:10 am

Thanks for the post - I LOVE my 70-200 2.8 !!! Been shooting with L glass primes and variables. I am a Looooooongtime Canon guy but I am being lead into trying some old Nikon glass on my 7Ds with one of the adapters on the market. I just need to get into better focusing points on the ring but still catching my breath from all the L glass I bought when I got into DSLR shooting. I will probably Sell most of my 'L's and move into Zeiss Cinema lenses but I have to try the Nikon first. --- Thoughts?

Jonathan Lawrence

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]