FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with T2i

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Davis
Problem with T2i
on Jun 16, 2010 at 4:55:11 pm

Hi to all,

First time posting on this forum. I've had my T2i with a kit lens for about a couple of months. I noticed earlier what appeared to be a tiny spot on the lens on some stuff I shot but just thought I needed to clean the lens.

Today, when checking out my new Tokina 11-16mm lens I noticed the "two spots" much more and started checking for the problem. I quickly realized the problem is not from the lenses but internal to the camera itself.

When I shoot video the spots are more pronounced than what they appear when shooting stills. What exactly do the spots look like? They look like a dirty lens looks on a video camera. You know, you see a spot or two on your lens and you quickly clean it with your lens cleaner and they're gone.

This problem seems to me that there may be dust or smudges of some kind on the sensor or the mirror. I did visually take a look at the mirror and didn't see anything. After that, I'm stumped what to try next. Big pain the #$$ because I just got this lens to do some more serious shooting and I've got this weird problem.

Any experience from anyone on this type of problem?

Erik

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Multiclip
on Jun 16, 2010 at 6:50:54 pm

First nothing on the mirror will ever show up on your pictures or video, the mirror is out of the way when taking any image.

Is this issue happening on more than one lens?

If there is a sensor problem you need to have canon look at it. Sensors should be be cleaned by professionals, there are kits out there is you are professional. The other thing maybe a few bad pixels.

Is auto sensor cleaning enabled? if not enable it and do a couple of manual cleaning. If that does help post a sample picture of the problem.

There is also the Dust Delete function under menus you should also try that.

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
problem with T2i
on Jun 17, 2010 at 4:45:35 am

Yes, it happens on more than one lens.

This is not a bad pixel situation. It is dust, debris, smudge, etc.

Auto Sensor cleaning is enabled but does not remove problem.

Manual cleaning does not help also.

I'm learning about Dust Delete but that appears to be more of a cancellation effect done through digital software manipulation. I realize now that I need to get my sensor cleaned. The thing is, I'm pretty sure now that it came this way from the factory!!

Thanks for eliminating the mirror as part of the problem for me.

Erik

Return to posts index

todd debris
Re: problem with T2i
on Jul 28, 2010 at 10:39:28 pm

I'm baffled! I have the same problem. When I'm in photo modes, no problem, but when I record video, I see it in the view finder as well as the recorded content. an exmple in here

you can see it most vividly when panning across the white part of the umbrella... any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Jul 29, 2010 at 12:00:47 am

Looks like it might be a piece of dust/dirt on the rear element of the lens or on the sensor. Way too big to be a dead pixel.

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Jul 29, 2010 at 4:41:10 am

Todd,

No need to be baffled at all. I watched your video and for sure you have a dirty sensor on your T2i. It is a scary thing when you first realize you are going to have to clean your own sensor but I think that is what you should do.

What I did was watch 20 or so different videos on the web about how to clean your image sensor. After awhile you start to believe you can do it. I bought the correct size (Sensor Swab Type 2 12-pack) from B&H and I also bought a BriteVue Sensor Loupe 7x which allows me to see if the sensor has been cleaned or not.

The Loupe is not completely necessary as you can clean and check by shooting more sky video to see if the sensor is clean or not but that seemed like a pain to me. I like having the Loupe to check my work.

Having said all of that, the last advice is to get some Visible Dust Formula Solution. There are people who will say you don't need this and will only recommend the swabs for cleaning. My experience was that my sensor wasn't cleaned until I used the drops but ONLY 2 OR 3 TINY DROPS on the swab is necessary. You want a very small amount on the swab or it will smear the sensor.

Again, it all sounds scary and it is the first time you try it yourself but after one successful cleaning you'll be ready the next time.

Erik

Erik

Return to posts index

Curt Massof
on Aug 31, 2010 at 1:34:01 am

I can't see the video but I'm going to guess from the description that it's oil from the mirror mechanism.
It's a known problem for some of the the other Canon DSLRs. The mirror mechanism is over oiled during production and the oil is flung onto the sensor. They don't admit the T2i has the issue apparently.

I'm on my second T2i in two days as a result of this. The first showed 4 spots within hours. They looked like small water spots.
I exchanged it for another T2i.
The second one is also showing these spots after a couple hours of shooting.
This one currently has 9 spots that are most obvious when shooting in movie mode.
My issue looks identical to the pic in the Canon service bulletin.

Anyway, here is the info on the issue with links to Canon's service bulletin.
I chose this link because it links to multiple Canon websites that address the issue.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10039-10074

Hope this helps.

Curt Massof
Room 39

Return to posts index

Darrell Beck
Re: Problem with T2i
on Jun 20, 2010 at 12:12:08 am

Take a couple pictures of a blue sky. One with the aperture wide open, one with it more closed. If the spots change in size and sharpness, it is dirt on the sensor.

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Jun 20, 2010 at 5:42:30 am

Darrell for sure my problem is as you describe. I've since learned there is a whole industry out there dealing with my problem. Apparently dust/dirt/oil on the image sensor is a real and never ending problem with these type of cameras.

Anyway, I now have to figure which method I'm going to use to clean the sensor as there are lots of different proponents of different methods to be used. Thanks,

Erik

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Jun 20, 2010 at 1:29:25 am

If they're white/bright spots, they may be stuck pixels. Put the lens cap on and shoot a high ISO long exposure still; this may make them show up stronger.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]