FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 24-105mm F/4L Good for Video?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Knapp
Canon 24-105mm F/4L Good for Video?
on Jun 15, 2010 at 9:10:16 pm

Hello all,

I've been reading all your posts for weeks and am just about to purchase a Canon 5d MK2. My question is about lenses. I've been shooting Video for years but never stills or video with DSRLs. I'm not that familiar with lenses and a lot of 5d packages can come with a Canon 24-105mm F/4L lens. I know the L series is great but was wondering if HD video will look ok with this lens. I only have the desire to shoot video with this camera so any input or suggestions would be great. I plan on purchasing other lenses in the future but can only afford one quality lens now. A lot of what i shoot is properly lit or outdoors.

Thanks everyone!

Bob

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Canon 24-105mm F/4L Good for Video?
on Jun 15, 2010 at 9:39:03 pm

I am sure HD video will look better than just "okay" with this lens however I would suggest you try and buy just the Canon camera body and then buy the lens separately. The one you asked about is kind of "slow" - meaning I would like to see you have the option of a lens with a FStop in the 2.0/2.8 range so that you can get that lovely shallow depth of field look when you need it.

L glass is top of the line so if you do go ahead and buy that kit lens you will still be able to get some great shots but you have trouble getting a shallow DOF.

Oh, also make sure you buy some ND filters to cut down on the amount of light hitting the sensor and a loupe so that you can see the LCD screen outdoors and a tripod and a.....the list goes on and on.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jun 15, 2010 at 10:27:57 pm

My son uses this one and looks great, so does the fish eye, need to use it with image stablizer running, but, with Rode Stereo x/y condenser Mike on shoe otherwise you will get stabliser noise on sound track. Better lens to use is 28-135mm Canon IS lens for lightness but, minor barrel distortion on horizontals.

Great video thought, barrel distortion only visible mainly on still images.....

The L series lens are very , very good, we have a 24-70mm 2.8 L but, this lens is not IS and is heavy, no good without tripod, hardly ever use it on video.

You will not need to worry about correct exposure with the 5D mark II gets it right nearly evertime, we have shot fashion shows and art galleries openings photgraphed at 1/30 sec full aperture in low light and no, no flash stunning. and sharpness was near to perfect.

Enjoy the shooting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Knapp
on Jun 15, 2010 at 11:46:54 pm

thank you Bob and Steve! I do like the shallow depth but I don't need it that often for what I shoot. I definitely want to stick to L lenses. I think this lens is a few hundred off if I buy it with the camera. (The reason why I'm asking). Any suggestions if I can only buy one L Lens which would be the best all around choice?

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jun 16, 2010 at 12:18:44 am

The pricing is so good it is best to go with it for both video and stills, it is definetly a superior lens, but, the 28-135 mm IS lens is a full frame lens and is usefull for the distance it can get to the subject, the extra 30mm makes a hugh difference. But, technically the 28-105mm L appears to have no distortion but, is heavy because of the amount of glass and construction. I suggest you do not buy a canon Lens without Image Stabliztion any movement in High definition 1920 x 1080 is seen very easily and will need to be corrected in Premiere Pro using Staady Move , but, this is not the ideal way to go.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Jun 16, 2010 at 12:48:43 am

I have the 24-105 and if I had one lens to carry around for photos that would be it. As far as video goes its still an outstanding lens. Though you won't be able to get "as shallow" DOF from say 2.8 or faster you can still get it esp on the 5D sensor especially at the tele end of things. While the zoom is great giving you more framing options if I had only one lens to choose for DSLR video it would be the 50mm 1.2 which I have and love! but almost double the price of the 24-105

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
on Jul 12, 2010 at 5:04:10 pm

Dude, I have the lens and its awesome. For video you don't need a faster lens... even at f/4, on the 5D you are going to get far and away better low light performance than any video camera you could buy. Though I'm not going to say its not beneficial! I bought some faster primes for those situations that I needed to shoot in either less light or get shallower depth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]