FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hd settings with 550D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Ireson
Hd settings with 550D
on Jun 10, 2010 at 2:03:17 pm

urghh, sorry for the ameteurish question.

im a filmaker who normally works in SD with regular video cameras

I stepped in for a wedding that lost its videographer at the last minute. i borrowed a Canon 550d as the couple had no dosh upfront and this was all i could get my hands on. Id never even used one before - was pretty unaware of the whole DSLR world - and i didn't get my hands on it until the day before. Potentially hazardous situation but luckily i got beautiful shots, no probs with sound either - rode ext directional mike

now with editing im feeling rather stressed. i shot it at 720p at 50 frames a sec... this may have been a bad choice but as i said, it really was being thrown in at the deepend and was too preocupied with other factors to consider this. How can I get this to SD and ultimately MPEG 2 DVD? DO i need to convert, downscale the footage.. and what about the frame rate? AM i stuck completely?

I love the camera, its opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibility and i will be getting one myself. but in the short term, any advice on this would be a G-O-D-S-E-N-D!!

Cheers, Stu x

Return to posts index

Greg Brand
Re: Hd settings with 550D
on Jun 10, 2010 at 2:37:35 pm

hey there Stu

what software are you going to be using to edit the footage?
or as it sounds, you may just be wanting to put the unedited footage onto a DVD?

If that is the case, your still going to have to go through a bit of a process to get the footage into a good .m2v or .mpeg format for DVD.

I would suggest the following:
use mpegstream clip from http://www.squared5.com to convert the footage from it's native .H264 into a more edit friendly format like XDcamEX or Proress.
then Edit the converted footage in a sequence that matches your footage i.e 1280x720p @50fps
finally render out at in a High quality format such as Quicktime animation codec
then use Quicktime pro to convert the HD footage @50fps down to an mpeg or DVD @ 25fps

the fact that the footage is at 50fps should make no difference to the timing of the clips unless you want to slow them down? then use cinema tools to conform the clips (after making a copy of them) and use those clips in a different sequence to match the new frame rates.

hope that makes sense?
good luck

Greg

http://gregbrand.co.uk

Return to posts index

Stuart Ireson
on Jun 10, 2010 at 3:18:55 pm

Ah Greg, you put my mind at rest.

I will have to edit it a bit on cs4... by what your saying i should finally render out quicktime anim codoec and convert using quicktime pro.. fab

and by what your saying ill stay the hell away from slow motion!

Thank very much! Stu x

Return to posts index

Greg Brand
on Jun 10, 2010 at 3:28:47 pm

no worries Stu

well the slow mo does make for very nice clips.
just remember to make a copy of the clips you wish to down convert to 24 or 25fps as cinema tools converts the actual clips you choose directly and does not make a copy.

as well, when you finally encode your quicktime anim codec video remember to deselect preserve aspect ratio in the size tab or else you will have some small black bars on the side of your SD clips.

Greg

http://gregbrand.co.uk

Return to posts index

Stuart Ireson
on Jun 11, 2010 at 4:40:03 pm

thanks again Greg that's very useful... i just tried a section and it work out fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]