FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7d versus Nikon

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drea Perry
Canon 7d versus Nikon
on Jun 10, 2010 at 4:14:16 am

Hey all

I've always had Nikon DSLRs because I enjoy the glass quality and lenses and overall layout much more than canons.

But now the Canon 7d is being used like crazy on sets like House and Flashfoward and even here at film school.

Is there a Nikon equivalent to the Canon 7d? or is the Canon 7d the best? Why?

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Canon 7d versus Nikon
on Jun 10, 2010 at 6:11:14 am

IMHO the Nikon has more aliasing, even the Canon's are not free of it.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 10, 2010 at 6:49:30 am

While Nikon and Canon have parity in the still picture world, Nikon has fallen way behind in the motion picture end of it. No comparison at all sadly. The D300s is the same price as the 7D yet it is stuck in 720p land at 24fps while the Canon can shoot 1080p at industry standard 23.976.

Really not a choice at this time - I would hoppe Nikon is working on something great but who knows?

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 10, 2010 at 9:04:36 am

Zacuto did a shoot out and the only thing everyone like on the Nikon is in very low light, but that is also the D3 which is major $$$$$ I think over 3K.

The Zacuto shoot out is worth watching, a lot of useful info and good advice along the way.

http://www.zacuto.com/shootout

With the Canon you can use old Nikon non-AF just fine as well and any of the AF lenses that have the aperture ring on the lens barrel (of course you lose AF) but your meters still work.

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Jun 11, 2010 at 1:51:01 pm

Nikon have really developed their cameras for sports photographers and news photographers, that's why they have so many 12MP cameras, you don't need more than that for these purposes. So while Nikon have gone for fast burst speeds for sports and lowlight capability for news, the other thing Nikon attached was video.

Video on a Nikon is again aimed at the news photographer, so they can get excellent stills, then do a quick video of the same story for the newspapers/magazine's website.

This leaves the advanced shooter who is not in the above professions, no alternative but to go to Canon for HD video in a DSLR.

This also highlights the advantages Canon has in the way that they designed and built their own sensors at the start of the digital SLR revolution, whereas Nikon bought Sony sensors.

I write this as a long time Nikon shooter, who has now got a D300 and 7D systems and a use for all my old Nikkor glass, through the Ebay Nikon to EOS adapters.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Mark Shepherd
on Jun 12, 2010 at 3:53:52 pm

Has anyone tested the new Nikon P100 with 1080P? It is a cheap $350.00 camera with a 26x optical zoom. I heard it takes crappy stills but the HD video is great at certain focal lengths it you hold the camera steady or on a tripod..

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 13, 2010 at 3:40:26 am

That what I look for in a camera, with certain settings and conditions it takes great video but the rest of the time it is crap. :-) sorry just found that description pretty humorous.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]