FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shoot for Green Screen with 5D or HVX?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Delany
Shoot for Green Screen with 5D or HVX?
on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:01:19 am

Which would be better for getting the cleanest key...

shoot with an HVX200 (720p DVCProHD)

or

shoot with a MarkII 5D (Transcode to Prores 720p)

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Shoot for Green Screen with 5D or HVX?
on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:24:43 am

HVX

Less compression and DOF is worthless on greenscreen

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Jun 8, 2010 at 12:52:43 pm

I'd agree with Rich, The thing about the HVX is that DVCPRO HD is 4:2:2 to begin with, when your trancoding the 5D footage to ProRes you'll end up with a file thats 4:2:2 but you can't "make up" additional color data as the 5D is 4:2:0 to begin with so thats why the HVX between the to makes more sense. But to be fair I've just completed a project that all the interviews where shot on a 5D and pulling a key was less difficult then I thought it would be.

As always with any green screen situation proper lighting, and separation are key (pardon the pun). Also planning the shot is essential i.e. clothing the person wears etc

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Alex Delany
on Jun 8, 2010 at 1:32:27 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I think I will shoot with the HVX.

Alex D.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:18:08 pm

I own both, and I'll go with the concensus here. The 5D works better than I imagined it would, but I do find it less forgiving on Green screen work than the HVX200. The 200 does green screen quite well (I'd hate to count how many GS shoots I've done with it).

Of course that assumes that you've lit properly for it in the first place. Still, we are all going to end up doing GS work on a DSLR eventually, so we should probably get good at it...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:41:32 pm

I'd go HVX200 into an AJA KiPro or similar hard disk recorder with a less compressed than DVCPROHD codec. Normally DVCPROHD is fine for everything but if you can avoid the in-camera compression and go say directly to ProRes instead you'll have a slightly cleaner key. Though really lighting is 99% of a good key. Nail that and post will be a lot simpler.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]