FORUMS: list search recent posts

CF Card

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy Schneider
CF Card
on Jun 8, 2010 at 2:15:18 am

Hi All
Just got my 5D, I am so excited to shoot some footage. Any thoughts on CF cards? I am not sure what I actually need. What speed in needed? Is Transcend any better or any worse than the others. It is priced much better. Anyway with all the spending on toys, I don't want to cheap out on the cards, but if one is as good as the other, the why spend more.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Roy

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
Re: CF Card
on Jun 8, 2010 at 2:46:04 am

We just spent two weeks shooting with the Transcend 133x with no issues whatsoever. We have also used SanDisk Extreme in a four week shoot with no problems.

Ed

Avid and FCP Preditor

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Jun 8, 2010 at 1:03:17 pm

+1 on the Transcend cards. Never had a problem.

The thing you need to understand is the actual data rate of the card and what the data rates of the 5D actually are. Card manufactures chose to use 150 KB/sec as the base value for CF cards. So when a card is rated say at 133x that really means 133 x 150 KB/sec which translates to 19950 KB/sec or roughly 20MB a second. A new fast 533x card for example can record at up to (rounded up) 80 MB/sec. The Canon cameras depending on frame rate and size you shoot at have a data rate of between 3-6MB/sec

So the slower cards will work just fine just make sure they're UDMA rated. Also just be aware the the downside of the slower card is slower transfer off the card to your backup device or computer.

Personally I save the faster cards for doing burst still shooting

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:26:19 pm

I did have issues with a Kingston pro x1333 card, my Canon 7D went into buffer over run and closed the camera down, it did this three times in a row, only allowing 3 seconds of shooting and then closing down the camera. The card was 50% full, so now I'm looking towards Sandisk Extreme.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:34:05 pm

interesting. I have some of those cards and use them in a 7D among others and never had the buffer. WHere you shooting 60fps?

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Jun 9, 2010 at 4:10:29 pm

I was shooting 30fps, it happened again yesterday. I swapped the card for an Extreme II and it worked OK with no buffer over run.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

tony gomez
on Jun 12, 2010 at 5:30:29 pm

B & H photo.. NY.. sandisk extreme 16gig 60MB/sec card.. for 120.00 with a $40 rebate if you buy two.. Ive read many reviews..... and this is the card to get... I bought both.. really great..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]