FORUMS: list search recent posts

Eliminate Glare!!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zack Florance
Eliminate Glare!!
on Jun 7, 2010 at 3:17:03 pm

I have a T2I and it's great, however, the glare on a day with any sun drives me crazy! WHat do you all use to eliminate glare? Is there a film I could put on the LCD screen or something like that?

Zack
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Avid Express V 5.6
HP Compaq nw8440
2 GB Ram
Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Eliminate Glare!!
on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:45:01 pm

That's why a loupe like the Zacuto Z-Finder is worth every penny, if you can't see the screen, you can't effectively shoot. In the meantime, throw a towel over your head and the camera like the old time photographers and that should allow you to see the screen.

A film might work but something like the Z-Finder also magnifies the screen allowing you to focus easier. It's $400 but there are cheaper versions out there too.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:02:18 pm

Yeap, without a loupe of some kind filming outside in daylight is useless. The loupe also makes for a much better shooting position with the camera against your face.

I got the Z-Finder 2.5x and love it, I wear glasses and it works great.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 7, 2010 at 7:10:20 pm

+1 for Z-Finder, it's worth every penny...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:23:10 pm

[Noah Kadner] "+1 for Z-Finder, it's worth every penny... "

I'd agree. The new Z-finder Pro is even better... I have the 2.5x.

As far as "worth every penny", as much as it pains me to say this, I'd say that applies to everything Zacuto makes. I've tried many others rigs and accessories, but nothing else compares, design-wise or for flexibility. I really hate it when something expensive is really worth it... :-(

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Jun 8, 2010 at 1:04:31 pm

+1 on the Z Finder although I preferred the old snap on design.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:12:55 pm

The new one still snaps on and off... it just has a far more secure mounting bracket (Gorilla bracket), which I much prefer. Given it's price, something more than adhesive tape is appreciated.

I also find it simpler to just loosen the two thumb screws to remove it. I think that will still be a secure mount, long after snapping it on and off has taken it's toll on the previous design...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:20:57 pm

Yeah I have to say I like the new version- not as easy to pop off but far more secure. And really once you have the Z-Finder on the only time you'll take it off is to clean the monitor or if you have a case that doesn't fit the camera with the finder on- which I'd recommend fixing. I.e. get a case that fits the cam with the Z-finder on at least for quick grab and go shooting.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 9, 2010 at 1:09:06 am

But the plate doesn't work well for us T2i guys. You have to take it off to get at the batteries. I ended up selling my plate and frame and getting the standard glue on frame. I then filed down the frame where the sensor is (another T2i only thing) so it shuts off the LCD when you are taking stills with the eye piece. Which works better for me and it lowed the cost of the finder a welcomed bit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]