FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another workflow question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Petersen
Another workflow question
on Jun 4, 2010 at 3:57:44 pm

I'm using the Canon 7D at 1080 30p.

I have been searching the internet for the last hour trying to find the best description of a workflow for editing, and for straight DVD conversion...with little success regarding specific information I'm looking for, so I thought I'd post here.

Everyone says it's best to convert using MPEG Streamclip to XDCam or ProRes. That's great...but I can't find anyone that talks about the specific settings to use in MPEG Streamclip....

Obviously, change "Compression" to Apple ProRes 422 or XDcam (but which one???).

Quality to 100%,
Sound - Uncompressed, Stereo, Auto
Frame size - 1920 x 1080 (unscaled)

Do I check anything under Frame Rate? Interlaced Scaling? Reinterlace Chroma? Deinterlace Video? How about Field Dominance?

Obviously don't zoom or crop.

Second question...what's the best way to go straight from the original h264 video files to DVD...I shot 30 mins. of video and want to give the client the rough footage to view. Do I need to convert to ProRes or XDCam before going to MPEG2, or is it okay to go straight to MPEG2 (using Compressor's default - 90 minutes Best Quality...do I need to change any settings then?)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Casey

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Another workflow question
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:11:31 pm

Can you start by telling us what you're editing on and quality ofdrives you are using

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:15:16 pm

Oops...sorry...I'm used to posting on a Final Cut forum....

I'm using Final Cut Studio 2 on a Mac Pro 2x3Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 10Gb RAM, running OSX Tiger. My hard drives are 2 Western Digital MyBook 1TB FW800 drives (does that make a difference?).

Thanks!
Casey

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:36:38 pm

Use compressor. Choose prores preset that matches frame size

Get raided drives

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:44:06 pm

Thanks!

Sorry, I've been a little overloaded with details (frame rates, sizes, interlacing, etc)...so much that my brain has gone a little mushy, and have gotten lost and can't find my way back.

I see the Compressor preset under Apple->Formats->QuickTime->Apple ProRes 422. I see that the Width & Height are 100% of source, and Frame rate is 100% of source. Codec type is ProRes HQ (does it need to be HQ?). Is that the right preset to use...do I need to change any of the settings?

Also...in making a DVD of the rough footage...should I be using this ProRes preset in Compressor first, or is it okay to go straight to MPEG2?

Thanks!
Casey

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:57:39 pm

HQ is overkill

For DVD direct to MPEF 2 is fine

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jun 5, 2010 at 8:48:51 pm

Hey there, if you are just showing rough footage like dailies/rushes (no editing), convert using Compressor to SD NTSC and use one of the DVD presets for the amount of footage you have and let it add letterbox bars. The files will be much smaller and since you won't be editing, you can just drop them straight into the DVD Studio Pro timeline (don't forget to do your audio, too unless they don't need to hear audio) and make a DVD from that.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]