FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cheap matte box?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Frey
Cheap matte box?
on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:17:53 pm

This ridiculously cheap matte box with flags is from an Indian supplier on Ebay. Does anyone on this forum actually have reliable information on the quality of gear from this company? Their rail system is also low cost. Anyone?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Matte-box-Sunshade-Mattebox-French-flag-5d-7d-cams-/280...

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Christopher Donnelly
Re: Cheap matte box?
on Jun 10, 2010 at 6:29:24 pm

I actually purchased this exact box, not from eBay but from their actual retail front at http://www.thecinecity.com.

It's not bad. The flag, mounts and parts of the box are all aluminum or sheet metal, but the actual box is hard plastic. It comes in 3 pieces, the mounts, flag and box. The mount just screws onto the front of the lens where a filter would go, and the box tightens around it.

Now, they have it mounted to a VX2100 in the picture. I will say this...it is better suited for a fixed lens camera. I bought it and 2 mounts, one for my 7D and one for my VX2100. When trying to focus with the 7D, it adds weight to the lens if it breaths while focusing and makes focusing a bit tougher. Since it can be untightened quickly from the mount, it's best to focus, then tighten it back on.

As for the company, they were great! Correspondence through e-mail was fine, shipping was a bit high, but it is coming from over seas. The good thing with shipping from them is it took 3 days. I can order stuff 2 hours away from me and it could take a week or 2. I ordered on a Tuesday evening, I got it Friday morning.

Hope that helps!

-Chris

Return to posts index

John Frey
Re: Cheap matte box?
on Jun 10, 2010 at 6:55:14 pm

Thanks for the response, Chris. I ordered this unit for my Panasonic GH1 a couple of days ago. If it works as well as you say, will order another for my other GH1.

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]