FORUMS: list search recent posts

Amateur question about noise....

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Crlenjak
Amateur question about noise....
on Jun 2, 2010 at 7:17:47 pm

OK so I qualified it....I am a complete amateur. So I'll just ask my question. It looks like a lot of you have some great knowledge of DSLR video. I just received my Canon T2i and I LOVE IT. It's just great, however I have noticed that nearly all the video I capture has quite a bit of noise. I am using the kit lens that comes with the package and shooting in the 1280X720, 60 mode to start. I have only had the camera for one day, so I have left it in the auto mode and have shot video in nearly all lighting conditions that I could generate. All video, so far has quite a bit of noise. I'm sure the lens has a lot to do with this condition, but I was surprised that my video shot in the bright florida sunshine had noise too. Any ideas to help me get started would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Dan Crlenjak

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Amateur question about noise....
on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:49:38 pm

Two things- number one the kit lens is very slow so it doesn't let you shoot in low light without switching to a faster ISO. the faster the ISO the more grain.

Number two- no lighting. If you're brand new to this, chances are you're probably not walking around with a lighting truck but just shooting with whatever lighting is in the shot. That's not enough light- so a faster ISO is being chosen.

The bottom line is that in order to get shots with little or no noise you need faster lenses and you need to light shots and you need to shoot in manual modes not full auto or you have no control over how things look. That's all pretty much basic cinematography stuff- lots of books and magazines on the subject.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Daniel Crlenjak
on Jun 3, 2010 at 12:57:21 am

Great. Thanks Noah. May I ask, what lenses do you recommend for event videography, where ambient light ay be the only available source? Also, do you have any recommendations on training sources for dslr videography in general and something on lighting topics as well? Thanks for your response.

Dan

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:24:09 am

I don't have Noah's DVD on DLSR but I have other ones and they are top notch. You should take a look at his. There is a book/DVD called From Still to Motion that I just got and liking it a lot.

It is well worth have a 50 1.4 or 1.8 in your bag, nothing else is that fast and reasonably priced. Then in general you want fixed f-stops zooms or primes that are at least 2.8 at the widest setting.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:40:53 am

Exactly- fixed aperture zooms at least a 50mm prime and you take it from there. I recommend the Drew Gardner video- teaches the heck out of how this stuff works:

http://www.dslr-cinematography.com/products/stills-in-motion-with-drew-gard...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Jun 3, 2010 at 12:01:52 pm

There is a difference between still photography and video, which might seem obvious, but I think a lot of still shooters get a HDSLR with video and try and take their existing knowledge of photography and apply it to video.

Where in still photography you can go aperture priority 90% of the time, video needs a different approach, even though you are using the same camera.

Sharpness and noise have different standards from still to video, sharpness in still photography is hard to get when viewing at 100%, and the cost of lenses is huge to get that level of sharpness. Video on the other hand has a lower level of sharpness because of how the image is used.

As the other posters have said, in video go manual, control everything including iso, shutter is fixed to the frame rate, so at 60 fps your shutter speed should be 120th, take a still photo with the settings you have chosen and see what the histogram shows and alter your aperture to push the histogram graph to the right, making sure the top of the graph does not go off the chart.

Shoot scenes that have an even exposure, avoid scenes with deep shadows and bright highlights (high contrast). Set your iso to 100 in bright sunshine and when you have time search for Canon custom menu settings for information about setting up your camera.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

John Frey
on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:05:24 pm

Norman, your answer is spot on!

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:58:06 pm

Thanks John

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 3, 2010 at 10:34:17 pm

I think the toughest thing for stills people going to video is having your shutter speed locked down. for 24fps you need it at 50 (can get away with 60 or 30) so when you go outside your hands are really tied if you want to reduce your DoF. That is why a ND filter is a must for outdoor shooting of video.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:51:01 pm

Glad you like the book. Robbie and I f(forum hosts) are two of the authors. Amazon reviews really help book (hint hint).

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Daniel Crlenjak
on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:18:17 pm

You just sold another book. Can't wait to crack it. I really like the concept of the book, particularly how it revolves around one of your true life projects. I'm sure I'll get a lot out of the read. I'll make sure to review it at Amazon when finished as well. Thanks!

Dan Crlenjak

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 3, 2010 at 10:47:48 pm

Review done. Once again great book.

Return to posts index

Daniel Crlenjak
on Jun 3, 2010 at 12:27:24 pm

Thanks for all the information and tips. It's greatly appreciated! Can't wait to try out all your recommendations on training and lenses. Noah, it was implied that you offer a training course. Is the accurate? If so, how do I order. I'm full on devouring books and training on the topic right now. I'd love to check yours out too.

Best,

Dan Crlenjak

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:23:35 am

Just follow the links in my signature after this post.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]