FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lens thoughts

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy Schneider
Lens thoughts
on Jun 1, 2010 at 3:08:33 pm

Hi All
New to the DSLR thing. Any thoughts on the quality of the Canon EF 24 - 105 L is USM lens.
ThanksRoy

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Lens thoughts
on Jun 1, 2010 at 8:07:32 pm

L lenses are their top of the line Pro series lenses, they are made for the full frame cameras, like the 5DmkII and the 1D. If you have the 7D or the T2i you are not using all the glass. You also get a 1.6x factor on the power so it is really a 38mm-170mm. Personally I would get a wider lens (if you have 7D or T2i) 10mm lenses on those cameras give you a nice wide angle. I also prefer 2.8 lenses, which are more expensive for the L series.

Really for this type of question you have to tell us what camera you have and what your plans are. If you are needing the high end for outside sports that is one thing, if shooting indoor in cramped areas that is another.

But that is a great lens. The question is goes it meet your particular needs?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 1, 2010 at 8:57:42 pm

Yeah that's a pretty wide range. I'd suggest a wide zoom and long zoom and some primes in between. That gives you more options and better quality. Any good film DP will tell you there's no one lens that's perfect for everything...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Roy Schneider
on Jun 1, 2010 at 8:59:22 pm

I have the Canon 5D.
I am creating food and cooking videos for the web. I will be shooting mid section up sinterview shots of talent which I would like a shallow depth of field. I will also be shooting close up shots of food which I would also like a shallow dof. The restaurant is typical natural lighting but we will be lighing most of the time. Would love some thoughts on lenses for this toye of work. Mid level budget

Thanks for your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 1, 2010 at 9:40:13 pm

Definitely the 50mm 1.4 would be a huge help for pleasing portraits in relatively low light. Also some macro lenses for the food closeups maybe the 60mm f2.8. And a wide angle zoom such as the 17-55 2.8. Try to get zooms with constant apertures- that way you won't be forced to change the exposure when you zoom within a shot if you're wide open. Really really depends on the budget, your lighting needs and photographic compositional needs.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 1, 2010 at 9:51:59 pm

For the 5D you have to get L series lenses, that is a full 35mm sensor, non-L will vignette on you.

So on that camera it is a good wide angle to CU lens. The question will be how close can you focus (the distance from the food/subject to the camera) at 105mm. Is that going to give you a close enough shoot on the food. Normally stuff like that you need a marco lens. To me this is where the DSLR suffers, it is more like a film shoot, where you stop and change to the lens that is needed for that shot. If you are running through the show and not wanting to stop and set up camera, I'm not sure that a DSLR is the right choice for this. If you want to do it this way I would have a second body with a macro lens ready for the close up shots. A 7D with a 105 or 180 macro would work wonders.

this is a 4x lenses and like Noah said it is pushing the range for a still camera but it is a good lens. There is just no "This lens will do it all."

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Jun 1, 2010 at 10:35:28 pm

"For the 5D you have to get L series lenses, that is a full 35mm sensor, non-L will vignette on you."

I think you meant you have to get EF lenses and not EF-S. There's plenty of non-L EF glass that would be great on a 5DmkII. Though, if you have plenty of $$, L series is excellent.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 2, 2010 at 12:20:02 am

I did mean L but I stand corrected. The non-L zooms lenses are also variable f-stops so they are not the best for video. But you are right about the primes for sure.

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Jun 2, 2010 at 1:45:11 pm

I shoot food and yet I don't own a macro lens, there are two styles of food imagery, shallow depth of field and large dof, it's often important to show the environment the food is in, such as serving dishes etc.

I guess I'm old school and shoot everything manual and light my shots, so I use a 70-200 and 50mm amongst others. I also use extension tubes to reduce the minimum focal distance, I have a 3 ring set from Kenko and use them with all my lenses for close ups and still life shots.

Rather than zooming I prefer to use a slider or dolly to give either a fly by or zoom in style of shot.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Nolan Carson
on Jun 2, 2010 at 3:21:22 pm

As far as macro is concerned, I agree with Norman. I shoot a lot of food and I hardly ever use macro (although it can be really cool for little cut shots or title screens). I recommend getting a set of macro filters for your primary lens and trying it out first. It wont be as clean as a real macro lens, but it will give you an opportunity to play and learn. Hell, for the web it will probably look great.

Return to posts index

Nate Hanson
on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:20:22 pm

With a T2i's (or 7D's) cropped sensor, would you recommend getting a 35mm prime f/1.4 instead of a 50mm?

Nate Hanson
Pilothouse Films

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:44:56 pm

Depends on what your subject matter is, I have the canon 50mm f1.4 and a Nikkor 24mm f2.8 this covers a lot of what I need to do.

I understand the thinking that the 35mm is an equivalent to a 50mm on a full frame 35mm camera, but most of the time I can step backwards with a 50mm and it also becomes a nice portrait lens as well. There is also quite a price difference between the two lenses.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]