FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buying a DSLR for Video

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Bianchi
Buying a DSLR for Video
on May 24, 2010 at 4:12:36 pm

hi everyone i'm new to the site and i have some questions about filming on dslr cameras. i have been thinking about getting one for a while now. currently i have a Panasonic HPX-170. i have been thinking about selling it and buying a canon 7D or 5D. im leaning towards the 7D because i just bought a car and its cheaper. i finished school one semester ago with an associates in video production and i'm still finding my way into the field. there are a few concerns i have with just having a dslr. from what i've seen they can only record up to 12 minutes at a time and can over heat easily. i am thinking about keeping my panasonic because of the limited record time on the dslr's because i have been doing several events lately that require several hours of recording. i was thinking of getting a letus adaptor but the price is so close to the 7D i feel like i should get that because i would have a digital camera too and i do enjoy photography as well. i basically want the camera because if its size and the interchangeable lenses. all the video i see just looks so good and i feel like i paid too much for my panasonic. i dont know if i should maybe wait and see if newer models come out. i would think with all the popularity of dslr video that newer models that are more video focused could be on there way. i know sony is making a camera that will be able to use dslr lenses. sorry to type so much i just want to gather as much info as i can because its a very big purchase for me. any information you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Matt

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Buying a DSLR for Video
on May 24, 2010 at 4:48:26 pm

You really have to look @ what you're going to video?
If you can live with the limitations of DSLR's and video.
The images are amazing I know.
If you can hang tight another 8-15months, I think some of the big video players are going to jump in on this and provide great cams that are made for video and have that large sensor like the DSLR's

That being said, there is a Ti DSLR Cameras that is cheaper yet...

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Matt Bianchi
on May 24, 2010 at 6:26:49 pm

thanks that was very helpful. i think im going to wait, keep my Panasonic and try and get the t2i. i want to do short films this summer. my panasonic isnt going to give me the shots i wont with its fixed lens. i'll wait till something new comes out before i sell it. i just need something that can shoot for longer periods because thats the kind of work i mostly get where i live rite now. plus if i get t2i i can start building a lens collection to use on future cameras. thanks again

Matt

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on May 24, 2010 at 5:31:29 pm

If you see yourself continuing to film live events than a video DSLR will be a challenge for you because of the 12 minute limitation. To be clear, all it takes to start a new clip is a couple of seconds but for those few seconds you won't be capturing. The only around that is to film with TWO video DSLRs - and with the prices for the Canon T2i being so low that is not out of the question for you.

I haven't run into overheating issues myself but then again I don't do long-form filming.

If, on the other hand, you want to head more in the direction of corporate, documentary or narrative filmmaking then a 7D is a great investment.

I sold my Panasonic AG-HVX200 to build a kit around the T2i and I'm very glad I did. I can't get those long-form jobs very easily but I don't care - for me it's all about embracing the new cinematic look at a price point that simply cannot be beat!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on May 24, 2010 at 6:02:07 pm

Ha ha, I just got off the phone with someone interested in me putting together a speaker-demo video for them, however it will all be staged so I don't have that 12 minute issue at all! :-)

Return to posts index

Matt Bianchi
on May 26, 2010 at 7:01:48 pm

one more question for you. how is the camera in low light?

Matt

Return to posts index

Matt Bianchi
on May 24, 2010 at 6:18:35 pm

wow that was super helpful because the hvx200 and the hpx170 are almost the same cameras. mine just doesnt have a tape deck and it has a few more features but the quality is the same. i might be able to hang on to panasonic just in case of longer events if i get the t2i. and wait to see what comes out and then sell the panasonic. i have a bunch of short indie films i am looking to make this summer and i want something that will let me get more cinematic feels. i think you may have just sold me. i hate shooting long seminars and things like that but that is all i seem to get in my area for video work. thanks again

Matt

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 25, 2010 at 1:55:54 am

Matt, I wanted to get into the game so I just got the T2i. It really is a great deal but you need to add in the price of all the extra stuff you need to make it video friendly. The great thing about starting with the T2i is you get your feet wet really cheap, then if you want to move up to the MarkII or 7D you got a great backup or 2nd camera.

Return to posts index

Matt Bianchi
on May 25, 2010 at 9:58:58 am

yeah i think i'm going to go with the t2i. i talked to b&h in NY ans they said the video quality is basically the same. the 7D is more because its a lot more durable and is water resistant which is nice but i'm not planning on showering with it. i already have audio equipment all i need are some different connectors.

thanks

Matt

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on May 26, 2010 at 7:26:06 am

I really like ability to monitor in HD when recording on 7D

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on May 26, 2010 at 8:02:02 pm

So Richard H, HD monitoring while shooting IS possible on the 7D? But not the T2i? This is a biggie for me and I have not seen a definitive answer. Thanks!

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 26, 2010 at 11:55:54 pm

When recording HDMI out is SD with all the canon camera, even the Mark5. That is what I got told by everyone in the Canon booth and AJA booth at NAB. For playback the HDMI is HD for all the camera. It would be great if we could record the images before it hit that compression. DSLR with HD out would be killer with the AJA Ki. Would be glad to be wrong on this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]