FORUMS: list search recent posts

example of the 'jello' effect

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
John Davidson
example of the 'jello' effect
on Jan 6, 2010 at 9:43:42 pm

One of the issues people have with Canon 5D and 7D video is the 'jello' effect (where things 'bend' when panning quickly). I've seen it and don't particularly give a crap - hey, it beats lugging a huge camera all over, right?

Here's one interesting example of it, though. The following clip was shot handheld, so I processed it last night with smoothcam in FCP and got some interesting results. In some shots, you'll notice that the screen seems to warble a little bit. Just another reason to make sure you're on sticks or have a stabilizer handy.

Return to posts index

Nels Chick
Re: example of the 'jello' effect
on Jan 8, 2010 at 11:34:42 pm

That warbling is the first thing I noticed when I tried out a Nikon D90. Although the 5DII and the 7D still suffer from "jello-cam" they seem to handle it much better than the Nikon HDSLRs. Is there a way to speed up the scan with these chips? Would that help eliminate some of the "jello-cam" problems? You are absolutely right John, if we steady our shots with support gear, we'll see a lot less of this warble. As far as vertical lines bending when I pan, I also don't give a crap. It's a moment, and then it's over. The benefits of shooting with a 7D strongly out weigh the disadvantages in my work.

inconveniencethemovie.com

Return to posts index

Joe Trimmer
on Jan 9, 2010 at 12:10:34 am

So do you thing the "warbling" was due to the FCP smoothcam filter?
Great footage though :)

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 9, 2010 at 1:49:43 am

I think the smoothcam made it more prominent. With smoothcam off, this jello is still there, but you're so distracted by the shakiness of the cam that you don't see it.

Here's a link to the nonsmoothcam version so you can see what I mean...

http://www.vimeo.com/8493311

This camera is one of the most awesome pieces of equipment I've ever bought. Months later I'm still in love with it. No other camera has held my fascination this long

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]