FORUMS: list search recent posts

Critique My Potential DSLR Video Kit

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henry Goldman
Critique My Potential DSLR Video Kit
on May 19, 2010 at 12:56:28 am

I'm about to make a hard jump to the 7D and wanted to get feedback on the kit I'm considering.

Here's a link to B&H WishList: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/wl/340CE63C7B

Pretty set on the JuicedLink CX231 and the Audio-Technica AT875.

Less sure about the Redrock Micro eyeSpy Balance DSLR 2.0 Rig and the Sunpak VideoPro M2 Tripod with True Fluid Head.

Any suggestions on additions or subtractions would be most welcome.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Critique My Potential DSLR Video Kit
on May 19, 2010 at 2:35:27 am

Hey Henry- yeah that's pretty sick so far. I'd get a better tripod (at least bump up to a Manfrotto and spend at least $400-500 there- most Sunpak stuff is junky), more CF cards, another battery, another charger and a better media reader.

The Redrock kit is decent enough but the Zacuto equivalent is better (though also twice as expensive). Also maybe a little case for your memory cards- but those can be had anywhere.

Finally you really ought to add some more glass. The kit lens is ok but fairly limiting in terms of focal length and especially low light performance. I'd add a couple of primes- like the 1.4 50mm or maybe the 85mm and maybe a nice fast wider angle zoom. And don't forget headphones- I like the Sony MDR series.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 19, 2010 at 4:25:28 am

Instead of the preamp/mixer, why not get the Zoom H4n
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/600761-REG/Zoom_H4N_H4n_Handy_Mobile_...

Also you have mismatch - SDHC cards but CF reader, which does the 7D use? I think it used CF cards so your cards are wrong.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/666606-REG/Transcend_TS16GCF400_16GB_...
(4) 16GB would be a little cheaper also.

+1 on the glass.

Return to posts index

Robert Gilkes
on May 19, 2010 at 2:19:36 pm

You need CF cards, not SD cards. Also, I use a Zoom H4n and I think you would be far better off. You can record your audio using XLR input or the 90-120 degree directional mic on the device. Syncing the seperate audio/video files in Final Cut is a breeze with Pluraleyes.

Get yourself a Manfrotto tripod and a quick release plate (I use Manfrotto 377) so you can jump between your tripod and your handheld rig fast.

Last thing, I don't know if money is an issue or not, but if it is I say go for some cheaper accessories and put that money saved towards glass! I'll take a nice Zeiss lense, a steady hand, and some stabilization in post over a $1,000 handheld rig any day!

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on May 19, 2010 at 2:50:21 pm

Eww on the 7D kit. That lens isn't very good. I'd go with buying just the 7D body, then searching around for a better, faster lens.

Personally, I would go with getting the Zoom H4n and do a dual recording method. Better sound with more control.

Those are NOT the correct memory cards for the 7D too. You need CF I/II type cards, not SDHD.

BTW, how are you going to archive your 32gig memory cards? Burning Blue Ray DVD? That will cost you a pretty penny. I personally would go with a few 8gig cards, and burn each to a Dual Layer DVD for archival. Sure, less recording time, but relatively cheaper in the long run to archive.

The tripod...ehhh...could be better, but you may be able to work with it. A good tripod is indispensable, and with these HDSLRs, you need good stabilizing gear.

My list is hear:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/wl/31D7F5E820

No audio yet, since my work is primarily just being the B camera at weddings, and all I need to get is creative video. Eventually though, I'll get a Zoom H4n and some wireless stuff if I need to.

Good Luck!
Ryan

Return to posts index

Henry Goldman
on May 19, 2010 at 4:36:11 pm

Thanks, guys. I switched out the cards and opted for a better tripod.

The H4N sounds sick, but for the time being, I'm a lot more comfortable having the audio go into the camera.

What kind of card reader do you suggest? And any other lens suggestions?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 19, 2010 at 4:57:57 pm

[Henry Goldman] "The H4N sounds sick, but for the time being, I'm a lot more comfortable having the audio go into the camera. "

You really should get over that quickly because you have zero control over camera audio, you don't know how the camera is recording it (monitoring the mixer does make it safer but still the camera is fully auto when it come to sound. Plus you can do both with the H4n, record to it and send a feed to the camera, you get 2 records for the price of one. That device is probably the #1 accessory in the DSLR market.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 19, 2010 at 4:53:09 pm

Ryan, question about the Nikon adapter/Ziess lens. I understand you lose AF, which you would turn off anyway, don't you also lose metering, if so what is the plan to meter your exposure.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 19, 2010 at 5:20:21 pm

yeah the in-camera audio is totally bunk. Automatic level control, etc. If you've got $2K+ for the picture, throw in a few bucks for the audio too. Nobody ever made it big with poor audio quality. BTW- check out this blog for lots of great DSLR shooting tips:

http://www.thec47.com/

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on May 19, 2010 at 6:32:47 pm

For now, I've been "winging" it. Very non-professional, but shooting and editing lots will help me out. Plus, I'm one of those shooters that underexposes just a tad, so in post I can correct the exposure.

Eventually I will get myself a Marshall V-LCD651ST.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/621952-REG/Marshall_V_LCD651ST_HDMI_J...

Neato.
Ryan

Return to posts index

mike Rodriguez
on May 19, 2010 at 8:32:38 pm

Get good glass ( Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 10-22 3.5, Tamron Wide angle zooms etc)and some neutral density filters. I use the Rode shotgun VideoMic on top and no problems. I don't use a stabilizer and find with the above lens they are easy to balance whether I am walkig forward or backward. With heavier lenses(longer focal length) get a stabilizer or use a Manfrotto tripod. The heavier the more stable. If you need to move around a lot and don't have a stabilizer use a monopod(They are inexpenisve). If you don;t have the money for HN4 Zoom get the H2. Its' does a pretty good job

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]