FORUMS: list search recent posts

The "Definitive" Nikon vs Canon for DSLR video thread

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Steeves
The "Definitive" Nikon vs Canon for DSLR video thread
on May 18, 2010 at 2:29:04 pm

I haven't been able to find some definitive answers from those who are already shooting DSLR video professionally. However, I do observe that MOST pros are using the Canon 7d or Mark IV and I have seen some great productions coming from these cameras. I am also aware of that Nikon is falling short of Canons capability when it comes to frame rates and sizes, as well as the codecs used.

I would like to start a friendly discussion between video pros using DSLR in place of HD cameras, and the likes/dislikes of their system and why they chose their system in the first place. Personally, I am a Nikon still shooter, and a Panasonic video fan but need a solution to make DSLR video viable. Also, what are some of your favorite lenses?

Apple Certified Final Cut Pro 6
Mac Pro 3.0 Quad
Kona LHe
Panasonic HPX-2000

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Noah Kadner
Re: The "Definitive" Nikon vs Canon for DSLR video thread
on May 18, 2010 at 4:44:50 pm

I'm a Nikon still shooter as well- love my D300. But frankly their video offerings for DSLR lag way behind Canon thus far. Until Nikon comes out with high bitrate 1080/24p enabled in their cameras they are not competitive. Topping out at 720/24p is not really enough.

I've ended up getting a 7D and 5D Mark II for video only. And yes as a Nikon shooter everything is backward and unintuitive compared to what I'm used to but that's what ya gotta live with.

Now that said if you're delivering only SD and web video, 720p/24 may be more than enough for your needs. But as a longtime video shooter I find there's no reason to be brand loyal to a fault. If Sony makes a better camera for a need than Panasonic I'll buy it, and vice versa.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on May 19, 2010 at 12:02:55 pm

I too am a long time Nikon still shooter, I also have a D300 with pro glass and I earn my living with this camera. I was waiting for Nikon to make a body compatible with a 5D2 or close to it. In the mean time I had bought a Canon HV30 to learn video. I have done well with the HV30 selling clips to augment my Nikon D300 business.

When the 7D was announced I couldn't wait any longer, I ordered a 7D immediately and have been very happy with the video side. I had intended to sell all my Nikon equipment and build a Canon only system for my business. I have discovered by using the 7D, that the D300 for me produces better photographs than the 7D.(ready to be flamed).

I'm now committed to keep my Nikon D300 for stills and the Canon 7D for video. I use an adapter to use my collection of old Nikkor lenses on the 7D which works very well. I also skipped the kit lens with the 7D and bought the Canon 50 f1.4 which I like a lot. The next lens I'm getting for the 7D will be a Tokina 11-16 or the Canon 10-22, haven't decided totally yet.

My old Nikkor AI lenses are 24mm, 50, 75-105, 200 I also started using my collection of Cokin filters for ND and graduated ND.

To round out my equipment I do intend to replace my HV30 with a camera maybe from Panasonic similar to a Canon XH-A1 when the next round of new models are announced.

You can't go wrong with a 7D (I like the 60fps)or 5D2, best of luck with your decision.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Matt Steeves
on May 24, 2010 at 3:19:24 pm

Judging from the lack of response, I can assume that most of you are Canon users, am I correct?

Apple Certified Final Cut Pro 6
Mac Pro 3.0 Quad
Kona LHe
Panasonic HPX-2000

Return to posts index

Eric Glatt
on Aug 26, 2011 at 1:52:16 pm

I too shoot stills with a D300, and came to this thread as I hoped to learn that Nikon makes a great body for shooting HD video that will work with my lenses. As that appears not to be the case,

Matt: Did you go for the Canon 7D? What do you think?

Norman: What adapter do you use for your Nikkor lenses?

Return to posts index

Alex Pop
on Mar 17, 2013 at 5:21:23 pm

Wanted to revive this thread now that the D7100 exists--seems like a definitive answer to the 7D, havnds down winning for photo work but very little info in how they compare in video. Any thoughts? I'm buying a DSLR video kit from scratch. I'm a producer/editor on snowsports events, and am buying a camera to provide support for my DPs--while they're getting the goods I'd theoretically be able to produce interviews, shoot Broll, etc. Thoughts on either system? I pulled the trigger yesterday on a canon system, and am still sort of partial to it, but would be curious to hear any opinions on the Nikon offering.

Return to posts index

Ben Morley-McKay
on Mar 18, 2013 at 4:43:59 pm

Hi I am searching for the same answer.

I currently have a Nikon D300s and have used it to shoot video of fireworks displays (my company business). I have always been disappointed with the results compared to footage shot on a friends cannon.

To be clear I am not expert with this kit - and it could well be something to do with how I am using the D300s - and the challenging footage I am trying to capture, BUT the Nikon image quality is nowhere near as good as the Cannons straight out of the box.

From what I have read (so far) the Nikon handles the image compression in a strange way compared to the cannons. This could be the reason why my footage which has a lot of graduated blacks, looks crap

I have invested a lot of money in Nikon gear - which is great for stills, and I would dearly love to be able to use the same kit for video - but its looking like I am going to have to invest in cannon kit for video.

In the next few weeks I am going to set up the D300s along side a cannon, and do a side by side test. I'll let you know how I get on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]