FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D - battery life and charging time

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Hertz
Canon 7D - battery life and charging time
on May 13, 2010 at 8:43:28 pm

So I have a brand new Canon 7D sitting on my desk awaiting a round of testing. I haven't purchased any accessories yet and am debating extra batteries, chargers, and CF cards.

Can anyone tell me the approximate run time you get out of a Canon LP-E6 battery when shooting video? How long does it take to charge a dead one back up?

And I've been told I should get about 40 minutes on a 16Gb CF card - does that sound accurate?

Thanks,

Don

Don Hertz
Fusion Media Works

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Canon 7D - battery life and charging time
on May 13, 2010 at 9:23:35 pm

Rechard depends how close to discharged it is. Run time may vary- I usually get at least a few hours of on/off usage. Buy extra batteries- I usually go out with 3...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 14, 2010 at 8:58:33 pm

I just got the T2i and a fully charged battery last for about 90 minutes of straight recording time. Batteries charge in about 90 minutes also. An extra battery is a must IMO but on an all day paying gig 3 seems reasonable.

Here a question, the manual states that the SD cards need to be Class 6, I got a couple of 16GB cards from Sam's before reading that (they were $34/each) but they are working just fine. I have done testing with them and I have never had a problem. I normally reformat the cards after a dump to computer, not just erase. I'm still in the test phase so it is no big deal but are class 4 in the safety zone of Video recording? or are there horror stories out there.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 15, 2010 at 1:43:47 pm

Depends on the brand but in general you can probably squeak by. Still class 6 are cheap enough I say why risk it.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on May 16, 2010 at 5:39:14 am

3 batteries and 2 chargeers per camera. Can never go wrong

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Christopher Donnelly
on Jun 11, 2010 at 2:13:24 pm

I too have yet to buy more batteries for the 7D, but the stock battery, on and off recording, turning the camera on and off to save power, I got about 2.5 hours out of it. Never really timed how long it takes to recharge, so I can't help you there.

-Chris

Return to posts index

Richard Baron
on Feb 1, 2011 at 11:24:30 pm

Been looking around for some information on power supply units for the 7D? Not really seen much on the web or anyone else even talking about using them.

I'm keen to have one that can be plugged into a socket for long shoots or time lapse scenarios.

I'm sure there must be one?

Return to posts index

curtis redden
on Mar 11, 2011 at 1:21:20 am

Canon ACK-E6 AC Adapter Kit.
"A must have for studio shooting and when power ports are available!"
I never have to use batteries for studio shoots or any venue where i can have access to a power socket.
This Canon adaptor plugs into the battery port and works like gold!

http://www.canon.com.au/en-au/For-You/Accessories/DSLR-Camera-Accessories/P...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]