FORUMS: list search recent posts

Article - Sony Puts NEX SLR Sensor in Camcorder

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Sikes
Article - Sony Puts NEX SLR Sensor in Camcorder
on May 12, 2010 at 8:16:49 pm

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/05/sony-puts-nex-slr-sensor-in-camcorde...

There is no denying the fact that DSLR video is inhibited by the simple fact that the cameras are built for still photography, not videography. So, I'm really intrigued by this - not necessarily the fact that Sony is doing this, but I'm curious to see what Canon's response is.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Article - Sony Puts NEX SLR Sensor in Camcorder
on May 12, 2010 at 8:35:33 pm

Still kind of a baby step- the camcorder they're likely making is limited to 1080i, no 24p. I am continually impressed by the timidity of camera makers to give consumers/prosumers what they really want. We'll always buy another camera but at least try to make it seem like this could be the last one we might need. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on May 12, 2010 at 8:53:40 pm

Following Panasonic's lead:
http://news.creativecow.net/story/863708

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 12, 2010 at 11:37:21 pm

Yeah Panny's is more intriguing because it has the shooting modes you actually want and their implementation of AVCHD is more mature than Sony's.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 14, 2010 at 9:03:25 pm

I'm really excited about this Panny but why in the world is this not a P2 camera with AVCIntra recording? Seems like that would even be more of a slam dunk.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 14, 2010 at 9:26:25 pm

That would be an increase of material costs. Not too mention Panasonic is a business. You don't put your Ferrari engine into your Hyundai priced model if you want to stay in business. Really same as any other company. Why doesn't a MacBook have the same processor as a MacBook Pro for less... for example.

Noah

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 15, 2010 at 6:16:01 am

Well, that camera is going more expensive than several other P2 camera. Also long gop encoding is something that Panasonic has preached against in most of their marketing, I would understand going to avccam on cameras under 3K but not something that is trying to bring the large sensor to pro video. If I get this camera I would factor in something like the AJA Ki or another recording device to bypass the compression and 4:2:0 color space.

I'm also not saying I want to P2 for free, would pay the extra to get it in there. But the speed of the small media is coming close to the speed of P2 cards (at least the P series).

Like everything in life, nothing is perfect and if only Panasonic had given me a call before going down the road they did.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 15, 2010 at 10:01:54 pm

I dunno of all the camera makers out there I find Panasonic to be the one that's most responsive to where the industry is going and delivering that to prosumers. They had the first 24p DV camera, the first tapeless prosumer cameras, popularized AVCHD, the first 3D prosumer camera etc. They're doing ok in my book.

Noah

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on May 16, 2010 at 12:38:26 am

Yes but.............Canon are stealing a huge chunk of business with DSLR video.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 17, 2010 at 5:24:16 pm

Noah, totally agree about Panasonic being my camera of choice and find them to be leaders, DVX for true 24p was used for many years by us, then the HVX replaced that and is still going strong. I like the look and feel I get with Panasonic over Sony so I go to Panasonic first and foremost. All I'm say is I wished they pushed this one one step further. To me the 2 negatives of DSLR is the lack of video camera control and fell, the AG100 addresses this head on great! The second is the codec of all DSLR use. Even if Panasonic went different codec that was a higher rate and 4:2:2, of course they already have 2 codecs that do this. It would be an even better camera and would take out 2 of the biggest concerns at once.

Norman, I think the tide will shift back as more large chip video camera come out. The one thing that DSLRs have is they will never be matched with price point so the video cameras have to better them on not needing all the accessories to make them into true video cameras.

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
on Jul 12, 2010 at 5:31:27 pm

Does anyone know what the price will be on this panny? I just bought the 5D and (not having much budget ever), I'm super terrified that I'm gonna turn around in a few months and there's going to be true camcorders on the market with the same sensors at around the same price and I'll be like... damn! Should've waited!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]