FORUMS: list search recent posts

Macro Lenses

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jensen Yancey
Macro Lenses
on May 11, 2010 at 5:25:17 pm

I really want to pick up a macro lens for my t2i but can't really decide what the best option is. The three I'm looking at right now are an older yashica 55mm Macro, Canon's 100mm Macro and It's L version. How are these lenses? I'm not that interested in using them for photography so it will mainly be for closeups in video. Is the image stabilization worth the premium of an L lens? is there another lens I should be looking at?

Return to posts index

Jensen Yancey
Re: Macro Lenses
on May 11, 2010 at 5:39:15 pm

Hell, would buying the yashica or non L and a decent camera stabilizer just be my best bet? I already have a shoulder mount and have also been eyeing a steadicam merlin.

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
Re: Macro Lenses
on May 11, 2010 at 9:27:22 pm

Marco

I have the 100mm L Macro and I'm absolutly in love with it. I bought it the day it came out so I paid a little more but the extra $ is worth in my opinion. I feel its sharper then the 100 non L and of course it has IS. Just keep in mind that as you get closer to 1 to 1 on the lens the effects of the IS are less so like all macro work having a very steady platform helps.

I don't just use this lens for macro work though, it makes a beautiful med telephoto and great for portrait work etc.

As for you question about going with the regular 100 macro if you're going to do any hand held work macro or not the IS is worth it and as I said I feel the L is sharper in my subjective tests (I used to own the non L)

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]