FORUMS: list search recent posts

D3s rolling shutter - stabilization

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Woodworth
D3s rolling shutter - stabilization
on May 10, 2010 at 6:42:21 pm

I know now that it was a bad idea, but I took some aerial footage with a Nikon D3s. I need to stabilize the aerial footage, but due to the rolling shutter, I get the jello effect. So here is my workflow so far.

I've taken the AVI footage from the camera into After Effects and applied The Foundry's "Rolling Shutter" plug-in. Then I export a lossless Quicktime movie from that. Bring it into Final Cut Pro, where I apply Lock & Load's stabilization software... and I still have the problem.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not calculating the distortion correctly in the "Rolling Shutter" plug-in step, but I can't find the correct settings for a D3s anywhere. The test footage I took to try my own calibration doesn't seem to be effective.

So I guess I'm asking for anyone who either knows the right rolling shutter setting for a D3s, or a proper calibration method, or any other thing I could be doing wrong. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Colin Andrews
Re: D3s rolling shutter - stabilization
on Jul 16, 2010 at 10:29:29 pm

Hi Kyle,

I just came across your post of May 10 regarding fixing your aerial footage with the Foundry's Rolling Shutter plug-in. Did you ever get anywhere with this ? I have exactly the same problem with footage I shot from a microlight on a Sony with a CMOS chip. They don't give much guidance with the plugin.

I'm trying out the demo & it seems to be doing some good - although it's very hard to tell with the overlayed grid and black bar over the top third of the image!

Any tips?

Thanks,

Colin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]