FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon D5 MarkII for handheld action seqences?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Shepherd
Canon D5 MarkII for handheld action seqences?
on May 9, 2010 at 5:18:49 am

At NAB I saw great footage from the Canon D5 but must of it was with either static camera or very slow controlled moves. Would this camera be suitable for a "B" camera in a action film (civil war battle scenes) handheld? I am worried about the "jello" effects. Also can this camera in the manual mode do the 5 degree shutter effects that were seen in a film like Saving Private Ryan? Would the D5 cut with the Red? Thanks for any advice?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Canon D5 MarkII for handheld action seqences?
on May 9, 2010 at 8:57:44 am

I'd say it's NOT the best use of the camera.

You just can't get around the fact that it takes some time to expose the full frame. So fast motion moves WILL often cause the shot geometry to change over the course of the frame scan.

Now, you might not find that objectionable at all - and the only way to REALLY decide is to try it and see.
There are enough folks shooting in REAL war zones with the 5dmk2 and if the footage was completely unacceptable, they wouldn't do that.

But I doubt I'd take mine out if it wasn't on some sort of motion limiting (steadicam) rig and I'd keep the moving shots to a minimum.

But that's just me.

YMMV.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 9, 2010 at 8:13:01 pm

Yeah I'd try out a handheld/steadicam type rig. You can push the 5D to a certain extent but it is definitely not the ultimate fast moving rig. Still- check this out for what is possible:

http://philipbloom.co.uk/2010/05/08/first-2-minutes-of-house-5dmkii-season-...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 10, 2010 at 3:01:54 pm

There's always room for Jello! That is what you'll get, even with a steadicam setup. If you are shooting with a Red Cam, then I'd get an EX-1 / Ex-3 for the B-roll. Or rent another Red. The 5D has great images, but it's best on a tripod. Any shaking or movement will give you jello or rolling shutter.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
w/ Adobe CS-4 Production Suite, After Effects
& CS-5 Production Suite. Window's 7

Manfrotto Tripod's & Heads

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 10, 2010 at 3:08:38 pm

Unfortunately yes – the RS is about twice as bad in the Red One.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 11, 2010 at 2:53:02 am

Having said all of this, Shane Hurlbut, ASC is using multiple 5Ds in his action sequences on Act of Valor, currently in post.

He has been making a number of presentations around town, including one caught last week by Robert Primes, ASC, who is also on the faculty at AFI. In a longer article about DSLRs and film that he's writing for Creative COW Magazine, Robert tells us:

My cherished beliefs were recently shattered by the brilliant young cinematographer, Shane Hurlbut, ASC. Shane shot an extreme action picture about Navy Seals in which instead of actors they used . . . Navy Seals! It was all action - run and gun - bang bang - cut cut - you’re dead. Shane brought 15 Canon 5D Mk IIs to the party and a brilliant rigger who turned them into helmet cams, gun sight cams, self portrait action body rigs, multi camera/multi lens “sports” packages and so much more.

Even better, Shane documented the whole process with stills and superb behind-the-scenes coverage. But best of all Shane talks the talk and tells the tale with energy and sound effects worthy of a young Robin Williams. We’ve booked him into AFI and are working on the ASC.

What totally blew my mind was the speed and ingenuity with which he could grab multiple simultaneous immersive angles. While it may not be the best kit for Meryl’s impassioned monologues, when the action producers and directors see this stuff they’re going to cream their knickers!

Bob has been a DP for 40-ish years. He was the second guy to shoot with the F900, after George Lucas. He knows what he's looking at - and he's loving the 5D for explosive action.

So there you go.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 11, 2010 at 1:58:46 pm

Wow, 15 - 5D's. I'm sure he could edit around the issues stated here, but in this post, Mark, as I understand, will only have ONE B-Roll camera. Therefore, it's a big risk knowing the issues with rolling shutter and jello effect to not have 5 or more camera angles to cut too when you may be running into these problems.

I'm sure the Navy Seal project will be awesome, but most of us live in another reality that doesn't budget 15 cameras and all the lenses that come with it.

What I run into is editing around the hiccups in the camera. Yes, this is a small price to pay for such a great image, but only if you have other camera angles to cut too.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
w/ Adobe CS-4 Production Suite, After Effects
& CS-5 Production Suite. Window's 7

Manfrotto Tripod's & Heads

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 11, 2010 at 4:12:19 pm

The point isnt' that the guy had 15 cameras. It's that NONE of them was locked down or moving slowly. No cranes or steadicams. They were attached to helmets, gun sights, handheld, etc., and both running and gunning. While Shane was the DP, the people operating the cameras were hardly experts.

As others have noted here, they're using them on 24. The picture from the set that I saw was handheld - using a film-style rig, but handheld...in this case, though, a very experienced operator.

So if the question is, can you use a 5D Mk II for handheld action, specifically for battle scenes as per Mark's question, the answer is, Yes. Absolutely. It's happening now, on features, and feature-scale TV, and happening more all the time.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 12, 2010 at 6:46:42 am

Maybe the audience doesn't care for the jello effect? After all, people are getting used to distorted realities…

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]