FORUMS: list search recent posts

dumping video footage from 5d in the field...

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
frederic menou
dumping video footage from 5d in the field...
on May 4, 2010 at 11:59:09 pm

Hello all,
I am going to shoot a video project for 3 weeks out of town on the 5d mark2. What is the best way (keeping the original quality) to download my CF cards to a mac computer (with external hard drive), without FCP?
My plan is to, when I come back home, bring that footage into another computer which has fcp so I can edit.
I read a few posts online that suggest using a dmg file... but when I did a test it didn't work... Can't I just copy the video files from my CF cards to my hardrive or I-photo and then export them to FCP?
Will I lose some quality? What's up with that dmg file?
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
Re: dumping video footage from 5d in the field...
on May 5, 2010 at 3:32:11 am

Frederic,

Copying the digital file to your hard drive does not result in quality loss. Editing and adding effects, etc and exporting will result in quality loss. If you're not comfortable making dmg file, don't worry about it.

Here is my suggested workflow:

- Copy each CF card to its own folder on an external drive. I like to make folders something like, ProjectName. Inside that folder, 5D_footage_050510_card1, 5D_footage_050510_card2, etc. 050510 would be your shoot date.

- Copy the same CF card to ANOTHER external drive with same folder layout. Do NOT trust one drive with all your footage. If anything happens while traveling (lose, damage, etc) your sunk. We have a similar 4 week shoot coming up and plan on making 3 copies; one drive will be FedEx'd back to the studio half-way through the shoot. Again, copy from the CF card to the second drive. Don't copy one drive to another in case of a corrupt file on the first drive.

- When you get home, convert all your footage from the H.264 codec that the 5D records into a much more edit friendly codec like ProRes 4:2:2. These files will be larger, but will handle editing better. You can set up a batch in Compressor and let it run overnight.

Hope that helps.

Ed

Avid and FCP Preditor

Return to posts index

frederic menou
on May 5, 2010 at 3:46:30 pm

Ed,
Thank you so much, it does help me!
Another question:
When I am done editing in the apple prores422 codec that you suggested, what is the best way to export the project to my website? The picture quality has to be very good, but I don't want people to have to wait long for the download. I'd like to use Quicktime... What are your settings suggestions.
Thanks again Ed.
Frederic

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on May 6, 2010 at 2:13:12 am

Sorry I don't have a great answer for you. Start with exporting a full QT from FCP. You can then use any number of programs to make a web version. Start with some tests of small sections rather than waiting for the entire piece to encode.

You may want to search the Cow Web design and Web streaming forums for better answers. I know most people will tell you - there is no one setting that is ideal for all programs.

Ed

Avid and FCP Preditor

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 6, 2010 at 5:01:39 am

Dumping in the field is always a risk. It's better to buy more cards.

But, if you have too, then to re-state Ed's post; Create a folder for each card and transfer everything to those folders. Don't just transfer the MOV files. Transfer EVERYTHING on the card. The data is important if you plan on using the "File & Transfer" firmware update for Final Cut that allows you to directly import and transcode into Final Cut.

Also, keep your original files on a separate drive for archiving your shots. When you convert them to Pro-Res, those files are huge and can quickly fill up a drive or drives.

It's always very risky to transfer files in the field. It's never a good idea. Cards are cheap and a reliable storage media.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
w/ Adobe CS-4 Production Suite, After Effects
& CS-5 Production Suite. Window's 7

Manfrotto Tripod's & Heads

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on May 6, 2010 at 2:13:51 pm

Personally, if I was in the field for the period of time you will be, I wouldn't take a laptop.

I'd use something like this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/656395-REG/MemoryKick_2MK500BK_500GB_...

My ideal setup would be to lug around the 7d, a light, tripod, 3 CF cards, and this thing.

Once you've filled one card, dump it all to this thing while shooting on a different CF Card at the same time. And since it's a solid state HD, you don't have to worry about bumping it around. Now it's all up to your battery life that will determine the length of time you're out in the field.

Also, if you break this thing, your not down a $1,000 laptop.

Just my 2 cents,
Ryan

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on May 11, 2010 at 2:56:08 pm

A couple comments...
[Brent Dunn] "It's always very risky to transfer files in the field. It's never a good idea."

This is a new work flow that many video folks have had to adjust to with the creation of P2 cards, and now SxS and others. They dump footage in the field all the time. It is never easy to click 'Erase All', but once you have transferred footage, that is what you have to do.

I suppose the alternative is to view CF cards like BetaSP, DigiBeta, DVCPro, etc. and purchase many, many cards and put them on the shelf. But that is the idea behind multiple drives and multiple back-ups.

[Ryan Orr] "dump it all to this thing while shooting on a different CF Card at the same time"

Again, I would caution against trusting all your footage on one device, especially while in the field. If that one device is stolen, you've lost everything. That's not a phone call I'd want to make to my client.

My two cents.
Ed

Avid and FCP Preditor

Return to posts index

Dan Lohaus
on Dec 11, 2012 at 10:46:52 am

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/656395-REG/MemoryKick_2MK500BK_500GB_.....

Hey Ryan - you posted this a long time ago and I'm wondering if anything else has hit the market that you would recommend to dump footage from 5D CF Cards without lugging along a laptop. I've been filming a bunch in Staten Island and have rugged drives and have been looking into cheap laptops or something like that , that I could use in the field ...

Thanks for your time - feel free to email me directly at dan.lohaus@gmail.com - thanks!

Return to posts index

Jonas Bendsen
on Mar 13, 2012 at 7:29:45 pm

I came across this thread researching devices for dumping CF cards to hard drives/RAID in the field (still looking for the best solution).

For others who come across this thread looking for general info:

While people did mention making sure you're copying data to not just one but two separate drives, I find it odd that no one mentioned check-sums, etc.

Simply copying a file by drag-and-drop doesn't mean you were successful with copying and protecting your precious data (corruption can occur, only part of a file gets copied, etc.). At the very least you should utilize a copy program like TeraCopy (a PC checksum program -there are definitely better ones, and others for Mac) that runs check sums on the original and copied files to make sure everything was copied and there is no corruption. On our last feature, we actually had both a software program and a human for this (this person is usually called the Data Wrangler or Data Asset Manager).

Ideally you would be copying to a redundant RAID system to make sure your data is even more protected (though nothing is absolute!), but I realize this is not always financially feasible, and obviously more difficult to have running in the field (especially if you're a small run-and-gun outfit).

I'm still definitely interested in hearing what people are using to dump CF cards to drives in the field.

A few people mentioned that CF cards are cheap storage and you should just buy a bunch of those, but at $115 for the "ExtremePro" (I wouldn't use anything less for shooting video) 16GB SanDisk card, compared to $100 for a terabyte on hard drive, I'm not sure this is actually the case.

I would like to find a CF reader that will safely transfer data to a two disk RAID mirrored hard drive (either spinning or, better yet, SSD) without having to use a computer in between (just CF reader straight to SSD). I'm not sure if such a beast exists, but that would be great.

:::::::::::::::::::::
This is my life, I edit and edit and edit and edit...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]