FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony A7S II vs. Panasonic GH5S

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brenden Villalobos
Sony A7S II vs. Panasonic GH5S
on Jan 22, 2018 at 2:26:20 am

Hey all, I know these aren’t DSLRs, but there wasn’t a Mirrorless topic.

I am a videographer looking to upgrade my entry level Canon DSLR. I am torn between these 2 cameras! I love the GH5’s specs but the micro 4/3 sensor is holding me back. I use Canon lenses so I would be getting the metabones adapters. Sony has great specs as well and I love that full frame.

What are your suggestions?

I shoot weddings, commercials and promos, etc.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Sony A7S II vs. Panasonic GH5S
on Jan 22, 2018 at 7:01:50 pm

Your Canon lenses (assuming they're EF and not EF-S lenses) will work considerably better with the Sony cameras; the focal lengths (at the wide end, anyway) just won't work well for the 2x crop of the M43 sensor, even with a Speedbooster.

However, the 10-bit 4:2:2 color available on the GH5s would give me considerable pause. That alone might be worth switching to a complete M43 system if this is going to be your primary camera. 10-bit 4:2:2 gives you so much more color data it's not even funny--grading it is totally different from 8-bit 4:2:0 footage.

If you're absolutely unwilling to give up your Canon lenses, then Sony is the right choice for you--who knows, maybe the A7sIII will also have 10-bit 4:2:2 color? But if you need the most flexibility in your post-production, and you need it NOW, then the GH5s and a new stable of lenses will be the best bet.

Return to posts index

Brenden Villalobos
on Jan 29, 2018 at 4:07:24 am

Thanks for the responses. As far as Canon lenses, are you strictly speaking focal length because of the crop factor? So say I use my 50mm Canon (times 2 with crop) makes it 100mm (times .64 with XL booster) makes it a 64mm. If I am fine with all that, cool?

Or are you saying there are other differences/quality issues between Canon lenses and the GH5?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin Rag
on Jan 23, 2018 at 4:00:52 am

Hey Brenden,
I was in a similar situation a while back. I have used the A7Sii in the past. A lot. Loved the low light capabilities and the video coming out of the Sony. When I decided to buy a camera instead of renting one, after a lot of research, I went with the GH5. Got a Metabones Ultra and Sigma 18-35 art lens. Just love this combo.
Like Blaise says, the 10 bit 4:2:2 video holds up really well in color grading. Love the 'look' of the images coming out of the GH 5. I have a few M4/3 primes I use often. But the Sigma is what's on the camera most of the times:)
The IBIS is totally worth it:)

K

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 23, 2018 at 7:08:24 am

if you shoot slog2 not slog3 you shouldn't have any problems grading. the gh5s doesn't handle the shadows as well as the a7sii. and the gh5s doesn't have ibis, so... yea you may want to hold off till the a7siii.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jan 23, 2018 at 6:18:42 pm

Yes, but Chris, even in Slog2 and Slog3, the A7sII is only shooting 8-bit 4:2:0. The footage doesn't stand up to much grading, certainly not compared to a log profile shot in 10-bit 4:2:2 (which the GH5s offers). Don't get me wrong: I'm a huge Sony fan at the moment and shoot an FS7 and RX10ii, but there's just no comparison between 8-bit and 10-bit footage in the grade. It's a situation I'm intimately familiar with, shooting both.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 23, 2018 at 7:53:37 pm

true, you have to nail white balance in camera. there is no perfect camera, only perfect DP's.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jan 23, 2018 at 8:09:21 pm

On the internet, every DP is both perfect and an expert ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]