FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080p 30fps vs 60fps. Does higher frame rate really degrade the quality of individual frames?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Gray
1080p 30fps vs 60fps. Does higher frame rate really degrade the quality of individual frames?
on Jul 7, 2017 at 10:40:56 pm

I can't seem to find a concrete answer on this question. I always assumed shooting a higher frame rate (Under well-lit conditions) is better quality. But I've heard some people say that the higher frame rate will compromise the quality of the individual frames. I'm aware that there are certain scenarios where one is better for certain application. For instance higher frame rates are good for action shots. And lower frame rates are better in low lighting, due to shutter speed. I want to know which will give me the absolute best video quality overall under good lighting condition.

I hope I've posed this question properly.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: 1080p 30fps vs 60fps. Does higher frame rate really degrade the quality of individual frames?
on Jul 8, 2017 at 9:07:01 am

It only degrades if bitrate drops. Or if fps is only available in lower resolution.

Return to posts index

Hakan Tanak
Re: 1080p 30fps vs 60fps. Does higher frame rate really degrade the quality of individual frames?
on Jul 18, 2017 at 2:29:25 pm

It's a good question. Im following this thread to learn that case.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 18, 2017 at 10:06:09 pm

The question here is whether the video bitrate changes depending on your camera's frame rate. If the camera has a maximum bitrate of say, 35 mbps, and both 30p and 60p video are encoded at 35mbps, then the 30p video will have more data allocated per frame. However, if the 60p video is encoded at 35mbps and the 30p video is encoded at 17.5 mbps, then they should each have about the same amount of data per frame, and would be of roughly equal quality.

But then we get into what "image quality" means. Does smoother motion equal better image quality? Does resolution? Dynamic range? Color? Depending on what's important to you, you'll have choices to make.

[Mike Gray] "I'm aware that there are certain scenarios where one is better for certain application. For instance higher frame rates are good for action shots. And lower frame rates are better in low lighting, due to shutter speed."

You should NOT be shooting at different frame rates depending on the scene unless you plan to utilize varying frame rates to your advantage. If you're planning on slowing your action down in post, shoot at a higher frame rate. But if you are not planning to do slow motion, do NOT shoot at a different frame rate. Movies =/= video games, where frame rates vary; your delivery format and delivery frame rate is what you should be shooting unless you have a technical reason (like slow motion, or timelapse) to shoot offspeed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]