FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noise on my footage

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tiago Rocha
Noise on my footage
on May 27, 2017 at 9:39:54 am

Hey guys!

Let me start by saying that video is not my main occupation, music is, so please forgive me if my knowledge about video is not as expected. I have an idea of some terms and lingo, so hopefully I will find the help I need ☺

So I'm shooting raw video with my Canon 550D. The problem is that I'm getting this noise on my footage. I don't think it has anything to do with the ISO, because the image below was outside and I guess I have the right settings. I know that when the ISO is high, it tends to add noise, but I don't think it's the case here. This noise seems to be different. I've seen the other noise caused by the ISO before :P

Can someone please explain what's happening, what can be changed or any way to fix it in post? Of course I would love to have it fixed in-camera, if possible, but...

Thank you and hope someone can give me a hand ☺

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Noise on my footage
on May 28, 2017 at 5:08:19 pm

Was this screen capture from the far background of your video frame? It could be just the resolution breaking down if this is a zoom in on part of the image. Most likely though it's related to ISO what was your ISO?

Was any editing done on the video - any filters or adjustments?

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Tiago Rocha
on May 28, 2017 at 7:47:54 pm

Hi Steve!

Thank you so much for your reply.
This is actually the DNG file open in Adobe Camera Raw, so before importing it to Premiere. And no zoom in.
I know how the typical noise caused by the high ISO looks like and this is different, that's why this is so intriguing. I don't have it when shooting H264 though. Also, not 100% sure, maybe will need to do another test, but I think this is only visible when using the 50mm 1.8 lens from Canon. I think it doesn't do it when using the kit lens 18-55. Gotta test it to make sure.

This noise almost looks like a "fixed" noise on top of the image. Image grabbing a texture image, creating a new layer on top of the video and changing the blend mode. Even though the noise kinda moves, it seems more "stable" that the noise caused by the ISO, which is like "crazy ants" running around, if you know what I mean hahaha

This is just frustrating, because now that I found that I can shoot RAW with my 550D, I really wanted to have a clear image...

Best,
Tiago

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on May 28, 2017 at 10:57:43 pm

OK, so I think you answered your own question, it doesn't normally produce this noise you say. I believe you are using something like Magic Lantern for your T2i (which I have as well) to show RAW DNG files. I think this is the cause. I don't think it has anything to do with the lens.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Tiago Rocha
on May 28, 2017 at 11:07:45 pm

I still have to do the test, but i think it only happens when shooting RAW with that lens (50mm 1.8f).
Shooting RAW with the kit lens doesn't and shooting H264 with the 50mm doesn't either.
So I guess there's something between the RAW and that specific lens that is causing it, right? Otherwise all RAW footage would be like that...
But I will try it again, both RAW and H264 with both lenses and see what the final results are and post them here ☺

Thanks for your reply!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on May 29, 2017 at 1:13:42 am

I would say Tiago that the chance of the lenses having anything to do with it are less than 15%

The clues are:

1) You are generating DNG files which the Canon T2i can't do it by itself, therefore you must be using 3rd party firmware on the camera like Magic Lantern or doing some other kind of post processing to create those

2) The noise you describe as being more like artifacts of digital processing rather than random noise which fits in exactly with the theory that its because of an image processing issue in software

3) And you said it doesn't happen when you shoot video normally on your T2i - using either lens as far as you know so far

So logically, it's Magic Lantern or however else you are generating or processing the DNG files

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Tiago Rocha
on May 29, 2017 at 2:05:18 am

Yes I understand what you're saying.
Now the only issue is: if it doesn't add that noise with the kit lens, then it's not Magic Lantern, otherwise both kit lens and 50mm would have the noise.
Also, I've seen footage online of raw video shot with the 550D/T2i and I never saw that noise. Maybe there's a way to remove it in post...?

Gotta do that test once I have the camera with me

Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]