FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making LCD TV Screens Look Good in Background

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Cox
Making LCD TV Screens Look Good in Background
on Apr 3, 2017 at 7:55:21 pm

Hey guys! I work for a radio show and I shoot a number of interviews with artists per week. Every now and then our interviews are sponsored. Our studio was equipped with two large LCD televisions, the idea being that when our studio is sponsored we can throw up the sponsor's logo on them so that they feature in the background of the interviews. As you can imagine these screens collect a lot of glare and it is tough to make the graphics readable and not completely blown out when balancing exposure for the people in front of the screens.

Is there any secret to this or do I just need to make the best of a situation? I'm currently lowering the brightness and raising the contrast on the graphics we get but it still doesn't look great. I should also mention that we only have two panel lights to work with so making the overall shots brighter is difficult as well (it is a very large studio). Adding more lights also adds more glare, etc.

Anywho, I'm at a loss so I'm reaching out. Is there a magic wand I can wave at this situation? Shooting with 3 Canon 5D Mark IIIs ISO 2000 f/4.5

Let me know if you need any further info from me.

-Evan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Making LCD TV Screens Look Good in Background
on Apr 6, 2017 at 4:42:01 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 6, 2017 at 4:48:57 pm

Available light is NOT going to cut it. You're shooting a TV show. Okay, it's really a radio show, and it needs to look good for TV.

The simplified explanation is this -- the brightest parts of the subjects in the foreground have to be a bit brighter than the brightest stuff on the monitor. Not as easy as it sounds.

The typical radio studio lighting might be good for radio, but it almost always sucks for TV.

And for radio shows you see on TV, well, the studios are pretty much set up and lighted for TV. They're doing a TV show that demands certain visual conditions, and the needs of the radio studio almost become secondary.

And I wouldn't use a DSLR for the job. The depth of field on them pretty much sucks for TV. You don't want the monitor to be out of focus when the subject's in focus. You want to be able to read what's on the monitor, right? You want a camera with a wide depth of field, and you don't get that with a DSLR.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Evan Cox
Re: Making LCD TV Screens Look Good in Background
on Apr 6, 2017 at 5:43:13 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected. I asked for nicer cameras when I got here but budgets kept us to 5Ds and a couple of lite panels. I'll keep making the best of it until the new budgets come around and I can start to fulfill my wishlist.

And yeah, I've been making videos for radio stations for the past 7 years now and I can confirm, radio studio lighting is hell on video.

Thanks for the response!

-Evan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]