FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading my equipment

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Dean
Upgrading my equipment
on Mar 3, 2017 at 8:58:28 am

Hello all,

I am a professional working in the education sector as a video content producer. I shoot and edit all my own audio and video but, because of the financial climate, I use my own equipment for this as the college's stuff is vastly outdated.

I currently own a Canon 60D that I have used for almost five years, predominantly with a 1.8 50mm lens. It certainly does the job but I realise I may be lagging behind a little bit in what I could be doing. I am also somewhat of an amateur photographer so I also use my camera almost daily for photos as part of my job and personal life.

I am wondering if my kit is worth upgrading at the moment, as ideally I'd like to be able to start shooting in RAW and/or 4k to make everything stand out a little bit. I've researched quite a bit about the GS4 and heard good thinks, but I'd like to ideally stick with Canon so I don't have to invest in any more lenses, but if the GS4 is truly worth it then I would consider making the switch.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated :)

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Upgrading my equipment
on Mar 3, 2017 at 8:45:25 pm

All the momentum seems to be with Sony now in the aps-c to full frame sensor space

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 3, 2017 at 9:13:25 pm

Yes, Sony's mirrorless cameras will give you the best bang for your buck. In particular, if you don't care to move to full frame, check out the a6500. Add the K2M XLR attachment, a Metabones EF-to-E adapter (so you can keep all your Canon glass), and a few extra batteries, and you've got a VERY capable little video system.

Canon's DSLRs have not sufficiently evolved their video capabilities--they've been careful to protect the high-end features of their C-series. Thus, to get equivalent features in Canon, you'll pay a lot more money for a C100 mkII or similar.

Return to posts index

Alex Dean
on May 2, 2017 at 11:42:30 am

Thank you both for your input. ☺

SO apart from the one you suggested, which of the Sony cameras would be ideal? In particular I've been looking at the a7s II and the a7r II.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on May 2, 2017 at 4:00:54 pm

I think either of those 2 cameras would be an excellent choice Alex. The A7SII has that amazing low light capability which can get you out of jam if you don't have enough light to work with but the A7RII is quite an excellent camera as well. I'd probably go with the A7SII just because it APPEARS to be the one that is more focused on video between the two but that's just an impression that would need to be investigated before purchasing.

There is only one area where Canon still has an advantage over Sony and that would be in the color science. Sony has been long criticized for a less warm capture of skin tones - with some even going so far as to call it a "vampire" look HOWEVER color grading during editing can do a heck of lot to correct that and there are even LUTs designed to give Sony footage that "Canon look." Also, Canon probably still has an advantage in the lens area but with adapters from companies like Metabones - I'd be hard pressed to suggest buying a Canon over a Sony with Canon glass for DSLR style video...Canon is just too slow and too protective of their cinema series these days :-(

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Michael Krueger
on Jun 8, 2017 at 6:24:27 pm

A7S II all the way! It is an excellent camera which not only can be upgraded with XLR Inputs but also holds its ground as a B camera on projects where much higher classed cameras are used simply because with its low light capabilities it can do something that no other camera out there can.
The only drawback in your case would be the 12.2 MegaPixel for photos. If that´s not enough, you might want to go for the A7R.
Canon is, as was already pointed out here, too far behind by now.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]