FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon Rebel SL1 100D sound solution

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucy Slavinsky
Canon Rebel SL1 100D sound solution
on Feb 6, 2017 at 12:14:59 am

Hello all,
I have Canon Rebel SL1 100D which has no headset jack and XLR adaptor capability. I am recording the videos. I was told that Tascam DR-60DmkII 4-Channel Portable Recorder is the solution for this camera. So, using this recorder will I be able to use the lavalier mic or XLR adaptor and the head set. I am an amateur videographer who has some problems with technology, so please try to explain it to me as you would explain it to the first grader. Thank you very much in advance!
Lucy

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Canon Rebel SL1 100D sound solution
on Feb 6, 2017 at 5:12:44 pm
Last Edited By Steve Crow on Feb 6, 2017 at 5:16:18 pm

Lucy,

It's called "dual sound recording" - what you are doing is attaching your lavalier mic or shotgun mic to the Tascam recorder which is obviously not part of the camera. The Tascam has a headphone jack so that you can monitor your sound while recording which is really a must.

Your camera is still recording its own audio but it it will be very low quality, however for the next step it's good enough usually.

The last step is that in editing you are going to synchronize or "sync" the audio recording on the Tascam to the video clip with the poor audio that your DSLR recorded. Once they are in perfectly in sync you will then turn off the camera recorded sound leaving you with just the high quality sound track in your editing program.

Some people go the extra step and attach a higher quality small microphone to their camera just so that they have better sound being recorded by the camera - it helps with syncing and in some cases (like if you forget to turn on the audio recorder while filming) at least you have some "OK-ish" sound to work with.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on Feb 6, 2017 at 6:12:32 pm

Steve,
Thank you very much! Is there any other solution that would allow me to record high quality audio and use the headset or this one would be the best?
Lucy

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Feb 6, 2017 at 6:20:11 pm

There are other techniques to record high quality audio such as putting a lavalier mic on the talent that is wired to a small audio recorder hidden on their body but then you wouldn't be able to monitor the resulting sound.

Dual Audio is the standard technique used for DSLR video especially when the camera doesn't have a headphone jack.

I guess it's worth mentioning that you can hire a sound person who can mic the talent and monitor the audio during the filming but a lot of us can't afford to hire a crew person - maybe you can find a volunteer with some experience?

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on Feb 6, 2017 at 9:34:54 pm

It is easier to buy a recorder then to find a volunteer with experience ☺ Thank you very for your help!
Lucy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]