FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nikon D5200 Video - Focus on a Moving Subject

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimbo Arnot
Nikon D5200 Video - Focus on a Moving Subject
on Jan 3, 2017 at 3:54:07 pm

Hey Guys,
I apologize if this is extremely beginner, but i do product videos of UTV sprayers where i work, and i'm having a real struggle to keep focus on moving subjects (sprayers) when i video using my Nikon D5200. I've looked at videos talking about the different focus modes on the nikon but i'm can't exactly work out what is the best to use for me and how to get it accurate.

I'm doing a videoshoot in a couple weeks and would really like to have this figured out.

Here's an example of the type of video i do.
https://enduraplas.wistia.com/medias/m36utrrwpb

if anyone has some advice or suggestions, i'd be pumped.

thanks guys,

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: Nikon D5200 Video - Focus on a Moving Subject
on Jan 3, 2017 at 8:13:34 pm

Hi Jimbo,

This may not be the advice you are looking for, but here is my 2 cents. I haven't used your camera specifically, but in general DSLRs produced in 3 years ago have never been great at autofocusing. That is not their strong suit. Some of the Sony cameras like the a6300, a7rii, a7sii have made a huge improvement in autofocusing, however filming the spray/water would be a challenge for most autofocus systems.

With your camera, I would recommend that you decrease your depth of field. That will keep more of the focus plane in focus. Try shooting around f7.1 to f11. Also, keep practicing your focus pulling with moving objects. Eventually, you will feel more comfortable with your lens and pulling the focus.

Hope this helps!

Cody Walters
Director of Photography, Producer
Sparkworks Media

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 6, 2017 at 4:30:02 pm

[Cody Walters] "I would recommend that you decrease your depth of field. That will keep more of the focus plane in focus. "

I think you mean INCREASE depth of field.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Jan 6, 2017 at 6:33:59 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "I think you mean INCREASE depth of field."

Thanks right! Thanks for the catch.

Cody Walters
Director of Photography, Producer
Sparkworks Media