FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon EOS 750D - Rig Setup

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Farhan Ali
Canon EOS 750D - Rig Setup
on Dec 23, 2016 at 2:28:23 pm

Hiya everyone, so few days ago I was given a gift from a friend; Canon EOS 750D

I have capturing videos for almost 5 years now and it has been a great success. Turning video into films and making them into memories for family & friends.

Now it's time to up the gear. I would like to use the camera to its fully advantage.

I really need the community help on a rig that can be used for my new project in the new year.

I wish the the rig to be able to have the following; Light, Microphone & External Monitor. I've looked at some shoulder rigs but I don't know how I can add the above equipments onto it.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: Canon EOS 750D - Rig Setup
on Dec 23, 2016 at 10:11:21 pm

You didn't specify if you are looking for a hand held rig or just a self contained rig with the gear attached. I would recommend that you start with a cage around your camera. Something similar to this would work:

https://www.amazon.com/CAMVATE-Camera-Handle-Tripod-Panasonnic/dp/B019U3UI1...

Then you can get an articulating arm to hold your monitor:
https://www.amazon.com/Zacuto-Zamerican-V3-Small-Articulating/dp/B0052AXM9Y...

A LED on-camera light would work that could go onto the hot shoe.

and then a shotgun mic:
https://www.amazon.com/Rode-VMGO-Lightweight-Microphone-Super-Cardio/dp/B00...

Cody Walters
Director of Photography, Producer
Sparkworks Media

Return to posts index

Farhan Ali
on Dec 26, 2016 at 1:51:59 pm
Last Edited By Farhan Ali on Dec 26, 2016 at 2:04:42 pm

Hello Cody thanks for reply, sorry for not mentioning important info.

Can you please take a look at the image below:-

I was hoping for the exact same setup as above. Setup that can be used both on shoulder, tripod and hand.
But for the monitor if it can be adjusted towards the left or right it would be added bonus.
When it comes to price I would like to go for mid range nothing tooo expensive.

Thanks

P.S. I found the following rig:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/ibn/eimo-Shoulder-Follow-Platform-Support-Camera...

What do you think mate?

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Dec 26, 2016 at 5:03:27 pm

Hi Farhan,

I'm not familiar with your 750D or the rig you link to. However these are just some of the items I would consider when selecting a rig for your criteria.....

- Have full access to all the camera controls, as well as, able to swap batteries, and memory cards without removing the camera. Also how easy is it to swap lens, considering that will most likely mean removing (or moving out of the way) the barn doors and follow focus.

- Proper balance (both for and aft, as well as one handed) of the rig with and without everything you may or may not have attached for certain situations.

- How rigid are the attachments and easy is it to make adjustments on the fly, such as the monitor position and angle, adjusting the barn doors for certain lens, etc.

- Does the rig allow for using the swing out camera display. If using just a monitor, this might not seem important, but if using a recorder/monitor such as the Atomos Ninja Flame, the camera display will still be necessary to make menu adjustments.

- Total weight of the rig when fully configured. And, again balance of the rig is important here as well.

- When handheld will the rig sit unattended without falling over.

- How quick and easy is it to take off and put on equipment on the fly.

The rig you link appears to be extremely front heavy. In the rig you posted the photo of, there is a rear counter balance weight, as well as, the aux battery to counter the forward weight of the camera, follow focus, handles, cage, barn doors, etc. I would assume some additional attachment or DIY'ing necessary to configure this counter balance.

Considering all the gismo's included in the rig you link, for the price, I would be suspect of the overall quality. There is an email in one of the reviews, which may be helpful to ask specific questions, if in fact this is an actual user of the rig. On the other hand there is also a review stating they sent it back. Although I take any of the reviews, good or bad, with a grain of salt.

From my experience, I have never had a rig that will do well on a tripod, handheld or run-n-gun. That may be because I just haven't found one as yet, so I tend to DIY some of the attachments to suit my needs. Hopefully a member here that actually has one of the rigs you linked, will respond with their first hand opinion. I'm certainly not saying this rig is bad, I'm just skeptical of the quality and usefulness of the design.

Best Regards.......George

Return to posts index

Farhan Ali
on Dec 26, 2016 at 7:35:12 pm
Last Edited By Farhan Ali on Dec 26, 2016 at 7:43:52 pm

Hello George thanks very much for reply it's greatly appreciated.

The points you have mentioned are very important and I agree 100% especially when it comes to battery, memory cards and lens. As these are the main components of the camera and at some point during the project will need to be replaced.

I suppose this will be a difficult task now... I had read these "blue" rigs are cheap and 90% of time does the job but only suitable for small projects. Another review says to stay away from these "blue" rigs as they are totally bad.

I'm stuck on the middle now... no where to go lols.

Let's say I was looking for a setup that can contain external monitor, microphone and light that can be used as a shoulder or tripod mount. Perhaps we can take it from there.

Something like below would be a good start, allowing me to adjust the position of monitor. Attach a tripod also if needs be.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Dec 28, 2016 at 4:16:49 pm

Hi Farhan,

Sorry I'm a bit late on responding. I'm in the middle of a non-photography related project (aviation), but in a few days I will post a photo of my rig and perhaps that will give you a few ideas along with the rig you posted.

Best Regards....George

Return to posts index

Farhan Ali
on Dec 28, 2016 at 4:40:25 pm

Hello George, no need to apologise mate it's fine.

That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Dec 31, 2016 at 6:20:00 pm

Hi Farhan,

Here are a few photos of my current GH4 rig. Sorry for the background, just wasn't enough time to setup a backdrop and the table top is being used for another project, so some of the detail may be lost.

This is an Axler Cage specifically designed for the GH4. It comes with the 15mm rails. Everything to the camera is accessible including all the camera buttons, wheels, etc, as well as, battery, card and lens. I had to make the 'L' grip brackets, as well as, attach a couple shoe mounts, one for the Atomos Ninja Flame 4K recorder/monitor and the other for the shotgun mic. I don't use barn doors, although the 15mm rail would allow for that, as well as, a follow focus. In a few months I may be working on a shoulder mount. The position of the side grips comes close enough to balance so handling off the tripod isn't difficult. Rubber bands hold the remote start/stop although I don't really need it as the top/front camera exposure button will start/stop recording and is reachable with my right index finger. Either triggers the Atomos recorder.

Of course, at least for me, this rig is far from perfect. Although the Axler cage is designed for the GH4, it will not accommodate the extended battery grip. Also, there is not enough room inside the cage to accommodate a quick release, and this is a poor design making setting up the rig a pain. If I was to leave the camera mounted in the cage (my thought when I purchased it), the lack of a quick release would not be that big of a deal. But, I find I usually keep the camera alone along with lens, etc. in a small camera bag and carry it often with me as I'm out and about. The cage, recorder, mic, tripod, ladder dolly, etc are carried in separate cases when I head for a specific shoot.

Hope this helps a little for ideas as to how you will setup your rig.

Best Regards.......George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]