FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which HD format?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sunil Situnayake
Which HD format?
on May 1, 2010 at 3:24:03 am

My target audiences for my HD footage are: people watching HD on the internet, and, people watching standard definition broadcast television at home. What, as of today, is the most popular HD format viewed on the internet - 1080 or 720? Unless viewers have very large computer monitors, would they be able to see the difference? What is the most popular frame rate - 24, 30 or 60 fps? Do download times differ for each format and fps setting? For people watching tv at home, what is the most applicable format - HD 1080, 720 or 640 SD. Again, what would be the most appropriate frame rate for standard broadcast transmission?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Which HD format?
on May 1, 2010 at 11:58:50 am

I like 1080 because you can use it for anything and it scales down nicely to any web format with excellent quality.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Sunil Situnayake
on May 1, 2010 at 4:13:29 pm

Makes sense. Thank you Noah.

Return to posts index

Sunil Situnayake
on May 8, 2010 at 2:00:30 am

Hi again. I cam across this information:

Non-cinematic HDTV video recordings are recorded in either the 720p or the 1080i format. The format used is set by the broadcaster (if for television broadcast). In general, 720p is more accurate with fast action, because it progressively scans frames, instead of the 1080i, which uses interlaced fields and thus might degrade the resolution of fast images.

720p is used more for Internet distribution of high-definition video, because computer monitors progressively scan; 720p video has lower storage-decoding requirements than either the 1080i or the 1080p. This is also the medium for High Definition Broadcasts around the world and 1080p is used for Blu-ray movies.

So I think for my requirements I will be going for 720p.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]