FORUMS: list search recent posts

I have a thunderbolt to SATA adapter. Works great for 3.5" drives. If I were to buy an older RAID enclosure with an eSATA port, would going eSATA>SATA>Thunderbolt be ignorant and inefficient?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
russ daughters
I have a thunderbolt to SATA adapter. Works great for 3.5" drives. If I were to buy an older RAID enclosure with an eSATA port, would going eSATA>SATA>Thunderbolt be ignorant and inefficient?
on Oct 16, 2016 at 6:12:29 am

Would I really see a performance increase using an older enclosure/drive? By old, I mean it's back when fw800 and usb2 were popping. It all comes down to saving a bit of $$. What are your thoughts?

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: I have a thunderbolt to SATA adapter. Works great for 3.5" drives. If I were to buy an older RAID enclosure with an eSATA port, would going eSATA>SATA>Thunderbolt be ignorant and inefficient?
on Oct 21, 2016 at 2:52:01 pm

I'd question whether the drives are as fast as today's drives. But theoretically, this shouldn't be an issue. I've been using a esata to USB 3.0 converter on my RAID 5 and it seems to be plenty fast. Just so you know, I have two RAID 1 TB drives, and they seem to operate noticeably faster when I only use one drive at a time, and hook both TB connectors to it.

Ideally, you want to avoid any conversion boxes though. Does the sata connector you are considering not the standard one that works on all current drives?

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]