FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cinestyle exposure

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Campbell
Cinestyle exposure
on Oct 7, 2016 at 7:51:23 pm

I'm reading different suggestions on exposure setting as it pertains to the Cinestyle profile for my T5i. Some are saying "expose to the right" (ETTR I think, if I'm getting that acronym correct), and others are saying to always err on the side of underexposing so as not to blow out the highlights. Can someone opine? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Simon Barbarasch
Re: Cinestyle exposure
on Oct 7, 2016 at 10:01:47 pm

from what i know most people expose to the right, but some like to go to the left iv heard. I would reccomend just doing a few tests with your camera and see which is easier to get good results from with details in the shadows and highlights

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 8, 2016 at 3:07:07 am

ETTR is never a good idea. The idea behind it is to reduce the appearance of noise by bringing down the contrast (thus crushing the blacks, and hiding the "detail" that is covered in noise), but that means that other elements of your image might be overexposed. Expose properly for log, use lights when necessary, and denoise in post to taste.

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Oct 8, 2016 at 1:42:10 pm

Thanks. So interesting how many out there are in the ETTR camp. I've only just begun my experiments with Cinestyle, but prior to this I've always read to err on the side of underexposing (for any profile). Now it's all about ETTR.

Anyway, gracias one and all.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 24, 2016 at 2:46:57 pm

Since you can crush the blacks in post, it seems better to properly expose in the first place. I've personally never much liked the crushed black look, except as mood for very specific situations.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]