FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D Mark iii very poor sharpness

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Yeadon
5D Mark iii very poor sharpness
on Sep 21, 2016 at 8:59:03 pm

I've used the 5D Mark iii for several years now and have been very happy with it. But now I have a Canon C100 Mark ii and the sharpness is massively different.
So I've been doing some tests at home.

I have two pics here showing the sharpness of the 5D using EOS Utility vs the actually H.264 file that records and the difference is massive.

A lot of people online say; focus better, use a better lens; using sharpening blaa blaa but this makes it fair test and the only degrading is occurring at the recording / compressing phase.

So I'm wanting to know if I record from the 5D with Atmos Ninja Star to ProRes will my footage look more like the EOS Utility shot?

Is there another way of improving this footage?

I've looked in to RAW but it seems like a long process and one that can fail.

EOS Utility....
http://tinyurl.com/hemdves

H.264 video...
http://tinyurl.com/jpymmms

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: 5D Mark iii very poor sharpness
on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:16:20 pm

[Ron Yeadon] "So I'm wanting to know if I record from the 5D with Atmos Ninja Star to ProRes will my footage look more like the EOS Utility shot?"

It will not. The problem isn't the encoding, it's the nature of how the camera processes the image from the sensor. The only way to get sharpness that will rival your C100 is to use the Magic Lantern Raw hack.

Return to posts index

Ron Yeadon
on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:18:28 pm

Ah rats. Thanks for the reply. And that involves working on the the video from by frame in lightroom for example if I'm correct....? Or is that just for very controlled colour correcting...?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:54:28 pm

[Ron Yeadon] "And that involves working on the the video from by frame in lightroom for example if I'm correct....? Or is that just for very controlled colour correcting...?"

No, that's someone trying to be overly clever. You get a .mlv file off the media which has to be converted into something you can use (i.e. cDNG). Use Resolve to color.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]