FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D vs EX3 with Lense Adapter

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Hertz
Canon 7D vs EX3 with Lense Adapter
on Apr 30, 2010 at 4:50:09 pm

We are looking to achieve a more filmic look on an upcoming project. We're debating whether to purchase a Canon 7D (we have a TON of Nikon still lenses we could use and I'm guessing there is an adapter that will let us use those on the 7D?) or we already own a Sony EX3. Would we be better buying an adapter for our Nikon lenses that will let us use those on an EX3 or going the 7D route? If I can use the lenses in both places, then the only difference is the sensor - right (plus all the more pro-video features the EX3 provides)? Am I correct in thinking the EX3 will have less compression and thus less artifacts, but that the 7D has a bigger sensor and thus would allow for more control over depth of field? Is color space the same?

Any thoughts on going one direction or the other? Also, if you think the 7D is the way to go, is there any reason features wise to purchase the 7D over the less expensive Canon model if all we really want it for is video?

Thanks for any assistance.

Don Hertz
AC Media

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Canon 7D vs EX3 with Lense Adapter
on Apr 30, 2010 at 5:29:05 pm

Since you already have the EX3, why not test out your Nikkors on that? You could buy an adapter from someone who has a decent return policy, or rent one for a few days while you run some tests.

If you're not happy with those results, rent a Cannon for a few days & see if you like the results & workflow.

Better still, test both! Run some tests side by side, and see what differences there are & how they'll effect your workflow & your project.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Don Hertz
on Apr 30, 2010 at 9:36:31 pm

Yes, I probably will rent a solution first before spending the money - we're not too far from Chicago and I'm sure I could pick one up there for a few days. One of the links Doug Beal noted does say that using and adapter with the EX3 isn't going to give us as much control of depth of field as going with a larger sensor - so I'm thinking about trying out the Canon DSLR solution first to see what we think. We'd be using it only as a b-roll camera, no audio, and short 10 to 30 second takes so I don't think the audio issues and overheating problems others are encountering would be a big issue for us.

Don Hertz
Fusion Media Works

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Apr 30, 2010 at 6:08:46 pm

adapters
http://www.16-9.net/nikon_g/
or google Nikon canon adapter and check out the challenges
see post below re overheating shutting down
nikon > ex3
http://www.mtfservices.com/

depending on the lens check out support (rails etc)

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 1, 2010 at 1:20:40 am

I'd get the 7D and forget the lens adapter. You can use both together to give your projects a huge visual boost. Use the EX3 for anything that's long takes or where you need easy audio recording or critical focusing- i.e. anything that requires the convenience of a dedicated video camera. Use the 7D for beauty shots and b-roll. That's the best of both worlds. And you get two camera coverage to boot... Both shoot 1080/24p- can be converted to ProRes for an easy format match. It's a no brainer. Lens adapters were great when we had nothing like a proper sized sensor DSLR camera- but now that we do they make no sense. Bulky, inconvenient, expensive and kill a stop or more of light...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 1, 2010 at 4:10:38 am

I have the EX 1, 7D, & 5D. Like Noah said, don't waste money on a lens adaptor.

Why not the 5D? It has a full sensor and the new firmware upgrade now allows you to shoot in 24P & monitor audio. The 7D has had overheating issues, but a just released firmware will help some with that issue. But, if your shooting a full day, it may cause you problems.

The 5D is much better in low light for your night scenes. The full sensor makes your images pop that much more.

Use your EX3 for the wide shots & during scenes where you don't want too much bokeh. Sometimes the Depth of Field can get overused, so using both cameras will give you a nice mix of shots to enhance your dialogue.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1, V1U
Cannon 5D Mark II
Cannon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
w/ Adobe CS-4 Production Suite, After Effects
& CS-5 Production Suite. Window's 7

Manfrotto Tripod's & Heads

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on May 1, 2010 at 5:54:38 pm

Got to this thread late, but yes, seriously consider getting the 7D. I am using a T2i (similar to 7D - I like the 7D just a little bit better) right now with a 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm Nikon lenses with EOS adapters on them. You can get the adapters here: http://myworld.ebay.com/kawaphoto/ - these are great aluminum (I think) adapters and fit very snug with the Nikon lenses and they're very well made. We bought 3 since they were so cheap and it makes quick changes a breeze.

To consider: you will be doing your exposures manually - no auto exposures any more; get a decent light meter; no zooming unless you have an even f-stop throughout - maybe forget zooms altogether; DSLRs are kinda light - I weight mine down with washers and/or small weights taped to the sides, screwed to the base, or baseplate to keep wobble down; check this site (I love this site and its been recently updated): http://nofilmschool.com/dslr/

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 1, 2010 at 6:19:01 pm

I'd even go 5D if you can swing it- you gain full FOV use of your SLR lenses and over a stop of light sensitivity.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Don Hertz
on May 3, 2010 at 2:53:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Those Kawa Photo lens adapters you are using only go for $15 compared to a previous post which listed a 16x9 adapter for $250. Do the $15 adapters work OK for you? Are there any drawbacks to them? The 16x9 adapter says you need to strip off some of the weather seal around the lens you are attaching to - do you have to do that with the Kawa Photo adapters? Also, are you using them on G series lenses? We have two G lenses and two D lenses. I'm not too concerned about the D series lenses but would definitely like to have the G lenses functional.

Thanks for the help.

Don

Don Hertz
Fusion Media Works

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on May 3, 2010 at 4:25:40 pm

I've only ever used the Nikon to EOS ones from Kawa. I love 'em. They are pretty much a permanent part of the Nikon lenses I have now. Very, very thin - minor differences in focal length noticeable when I'm very close to the subject, but just turn the focus a hair and it's fine - unless you rely exclusively on the numbers on the lens which I don't. Remember: if you are getting old-school manual lenses for a DSLR, get a light meter - you'll be very glad you did.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

todd heinz
on Mar 12, 2011 at 6:10:59 pm

Like Voltron they work well together .I own both.The EX3 is a real video camera and has a lot over the 7d for production .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]