FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR or standard video camera

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mandy Leonardo
DSLR or standard video camera
on Aug 23, 2016 at 2:04:38 pm

Hi all, I just landed a gig and could really use some help with my gear. I’m going to be following an entrepreneur around with my camera shooting footage of him that we are making into quick 30 second social media videos. He will be on stage talking and then shooting him off stage coaching people....and also getting b-roll of him working, walking, talking to people, etc.

He wants to start making videos like this with the same sort of b-roll and also shots of him when he’s on stage or even off stage coaching a specific person: https://www.facebook.com/gary/videos/10154411736768350/

Currently, I have the Canon T3i with the kit lens, 50mm and the Rokinon 85mm F1.4. I shot an event for him last weekend and while my set up was decent for that I feel like I may be better off getting a regular video camera because of how there will be so much movement and also the fact that my dslr overheats after only 10-15 minutes…I lost some footage because of this over the weekend. Does this make sense and do you think that is my best bet? If so which camera would you recommend under $1,000.

Return to posts index

jacob william
Re: DSLR or standard video camera
on Aug 23, 2016 at 2:33:58 pm

Hi.....

There are a lot of opinions, but I shoot with both a high-end interchangeable lens still camera that shoots great video (the Panasonic GH3 (link is external)) and a high-end consumer camcorder that shoots decent stills (a 900 series Panasonic camcorder (link is external)), and I get great video and stills from both.

But when I carry one camera, I carry the GH3 (link is external) - because it offers the most flexibility - with its interchangeable lenses, more powerful built-in flash and easy-to-access external controls.

The GH3 (link is external) has much higher still image quality - and its video images are just as good, if not better than my camcorder's.

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on Aug 23, 2016 at 2:56:49 pm

Thanks, Jacob. Will my lenses fit on the GH3? And will it autofocus with them?

Also what about stabilization? I use my camera handheld a lot so don't want it to look shaky.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Aug 23, 2016 at 7:48:44 pm

The lenses will not fit without an adapter, nor will they autofocus well. Canon EF lenses are not meant to autofocus for video. Unless you are SUPER comfortable focusing manually, the video-DSLR route is not right for this gig. Focusing is harder, and the image stabilization is not up to snuff for continuous motion.

You need a video camera. Get something with XLR mic inputs so you can put a wireless mic or shotgun on the camera. A used Canon XA20 camcorder would be perfect for something like this.

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on Aug 25, 2016 at 3:17:59 pm

Thanks for responding and help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]