FORUMS: list search recent posts

White balance with a DSLR (Nikon D610)

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Georgiou
White balance with a DSLR (Nikon D610)
on Jul 26, 2016 at 8:39:00 pm

Hi! My name is Andreas, and this is my first post in this forum!
I am also new in cinematography and was hoping someone could help me with this question regarding white balance best practises:

I am shooting a relatively long ceremony in a church (approximately 2 hours) - it is a combines baptism + wedding taking place right before sunset. The natural light coming in will probably change quite dramatically during the ceremony - both in colour as well as in quantity - and possibly by the end they will turn on the church's lights too.

So far I have been relatively lucky film ceremonies taking place much earlier in the day when light would be consistent throughout. I would set the camera whitebalance setting to Kelvin and would make an approximation using the screen. I fear that with my next event this method will not work very well and I might end up with clips that have varied whitebalances and will give me trouble in post, as I will probably struggle to get consistent colours.

What would you do in my position?

Thank you for reading this!

Andreas

Return to posts index

Philip Goetz
Re: White balance with a DSLR (Nikon D610)
on Sep 5, 2016 at 3:02:18 pm

Shoot indoor on 3200 and outdoor on 5600. If you take use AWB or change the settings while shooting you will be chasing color in post. Shoot a white / black / gray card throughout the day... or just a gray card. This will help with the 3 way color corrector. When shooting weddings the bride is the white card and the groom is the black card.

Philip Goetz
@philipgoetz on twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]