FORUMS: list search recent posts

LOSSLESS CONFORM from 60fps to 24fps (MP4)?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivan Ivanov
LOSSLESS CONFORM from 60fps to 24fps (MP4)?
on Jul 11, 2016 at 9:20:56 am

Hey all,

I remember back in the day using Cinema Tools from Apple to conform my videos and turn them into slow motion. It was very helpful because it didn't require any rendering so it was instant but best of all there was no rendering required so no loss of data. Unfortunately Cinema Tools doesn't support MP4's. I could transcode to ProRes but it's a lot of footage and I don't want to waste all that space for this project. If I transcode to H264 it changes the color slightly - almost as if it warms up the shot. So I would like to avoid transcoding to another format at all if possible and just conform the clips like how I used to be able to do in Cinema Tools. Does anyone know a way to do that but with MP4's? I can't do it in Premiere because Premiere doesn't support frame rate conforming for proxies.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: LOSSLESS CONFORM from 60fps to 24fps (MP4)?
on Jul 11, 2016 at 4:00:19 pm

Right click on the footage in the bin and select Modify > Interpret Footage. In the dialogue box that opens, tell Premiere what frame rate you would prefer (and be sure to use the correct decimal 23.976, if you are not working on a true 24p project). Hit OK. Presto, your clip plays in Premiere as a frame-rate-converted clip.

Return to posts index

Ivan Ivanov
on Jul 11, 2016 at 5:01:51 pm

Hey Blaise, as I said I know how to do it in Premiere. However, once the proxy files have been created - those play in their native frame rate, NOT the frame rate you specify in PP. I asked on the Premiere forums and I was told that Premiere doesn't support changing the frame rate for proxy clips. That's why I'm trying to conform my footage OUTSIDE of Premiere so that once I import it in PP I can create the proxies with the NEW frame rate.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 12, 2016 at 11:40:59 pm

Hmm, I don't think you'd specified in your original post that you knew how to do it in Premiere--if you had, I wouldn't have been so dense as to tell you how! :) I'm not...well, I won't name names, but I'm not a person who is that pedantic. At least not on purpose.

What camera is your footage coming from? Does it support recording low-res proxy media that you could then re-conform later in post, so as not to create your proxies within Premiere? I guess I'm not clear enough on your workflow to understand why you can't edit your master files. Why is editing MP4 files in Premiere a problem? Transcoding to H.264 is redundant, since MP4s are usually wrapping H.264 codecs anyway.

You mention that proxy media messes with your color, but you really shouldn't be color grading proxy media anyway. At least the way they taught me, that should happen after you do your final conform to your original footage, and are ready to do a color pass on the source material.

Can you clear up the whole intended workflow, and why you're using proxies of MP4 media in the first place? That may help me understand your question a little better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]