FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 70D - Noisy footage @ ISO 100 [Outdoors]

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Allen
Canon 70D - Noisy footage @ ISO 100 [Outdoors]
on May 30, 2016 at 6:13:09 pm

I've been trying to solve this problem for a while now, however I cannot seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. Let's cut to the chase.

For a while now, I've noticed lots of grain in my footage, especially in the shadows. This occurs even at the lowest ISO, outdoors with the shot perfectly exposed. The lens being used was a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM.

I have taken a test video and posted it to Mediafire. In this video, the sun is on my back and exposure meter is dead in the centre. Here were my settings:

- ISO 100, 1/50s, f/22 (this high as I do not have an ND filter)
- Auto Lighting Optimizer: Off
- High ISO NR: Standard
- Highlight tone priority: Off
- Picture style: Auto (although I usually shoot with CineStyle, I wanted to make sure that it was not an issue with the picture profile, so I used the camera's default)

If you look in the black areas or even the grey areas of the car, noise is clearly visable. Here is the link, help would be much appreciated:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wg5a97gcm43lmll/MVI_4692.MOV

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Canon 70D - Noisy footage @ ISO 100 [Outdoors]
on May 31, 2016 at 8:55:59 am

Is this noise seen on a monitor directly from the Camera hdmi port, or in the recorded files?

You maybe seeing compression noise, which is often more visible in dark gradients/areas than light.

Return to posts index

Gary Allen
on May 31, 2016 at 2:22:49 pm

The noise is definitely more visible in darker areas, however is seen in the compressed MOV video in the recorded files on my computer, and seen on the LCD monitor in the camera (although I have to zoom in slightly as the monitor is so small). I do not have an external monitor connected to the HDMI port.

I understand the noise is slight and can be removed with noise reduction software, however other videos I have seen on the internet do not contain nearly as much noise, and many YouTube videos show no noise reduction in their "film workflow" so how can this be the case?

Return to posts index

Russ D'Arensbourg
on Jun 1, 2016 at 5:10:00 pm

Which video compression option are you using?
There are ALL-I and IPB choices. I think maybe there is a "light" version as well that further compresses the video data.
Full HD ALL-I is approximately 91.33 Mbps.
Full HD IPB is about 31.33 Mbps.
So if the camera is throwing away 2/3rds of the video data it's going to make a difference. I'm not sure of the exact details of the compression but I'm sticking to ALL-I with a Cinestyle 'Style' myself.
Storage is cheap.

Return to posts index

Gary Allen
on Jun 3, 2016 at 2:46:19 pm

Sorry that I did not include this detail originally, however I am shooting in ALL-I 99% of the time. So I don't think this is the case.
P.S. I agree, storage is cheap. This is not an issue for me.

Return to posts index

Joseph Ray
on Jun 4, 2016 at 10:50:14 pm

Make sure your video compression setting is at its highest. Do some research on your particular camera to see how to maximize compression. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Russ D'Arensbourg
on Jun 5, 2016 at 3:02:29 pm

to be technical, you want to do the opposite of that.
The highest bitrate, least compressed video is desirable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]