FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dx lenses for super 35mm or similar

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cassio Melo
Dx lenses for super 35mm or similar
on May 22, 2016 at 5:09:15 pm

Hey there, I wanna know before buying my lenses, if i´m buying correctly for long term.

I just learned that FULL FRAME never was a cinema thing.So as i´m intending on buying a nikon d5300, Can i just stop worrying on buying Fx lenses? Can i just buy dx ,and in the future....this lenses would be fitting in any super 35mm(black magic production,c300,red)? Obs:and what about adapters?

thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Dx lenses for super 35mm or similar
on May 23, 2016 at 5:54:46 pm

Yes, APS-C lenses will cover Super-35. I tend to prefer FF glass because it's usually higher quality, and I can then use it for my stills work on FF bodies.

However, if you intend to shoot video, in my completely unsolicited opinion, Nikon is kind of your worst choice. Their lenses focus in the opposite direction from everyone else, and they are behind the curve in their video features and codecs. If you intend to step up to any of the cameras you named in your original post, investing in an EF-based lens system would be beneficial, since most of those cameras come standard with or are easily adaptable from EF glass.

EF mounts will also accept a lot of adapted vintage glass, but F-mount will not accept nearly any mount adapters because of the long flange depth. So, shooting an EF-mount camera (or Sony E-mount, also a stellar option) will afford you the ability to use a wider variety of glass.

Sorry for the OT response, but it sounds like you're just taking your steps into this world, and it pays to have all the information before locking yourself into gear that's familiar from the stills world but might not be ideal for video.

Return to posts index

Cassio Melo
on May 25, 2016 at 1:37:05 pm

Uhm.thanks man. So basically all canon lenses are EF?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on May 31, 2016 at 6:46:00 pm

Correct. Other third-party manufacturers make lenses with the EF mount as well, like Zeiss, Rokinon, Sigma, Tamron, etc...but the EF mount is Canon's design.

Return to posts index

Cassio Melo
on May 31, 2016 at 9:07:31 pm

So whats the canon camera for the level of the nikon d5300?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on May 31, 2016 at 9:36:18 pm

The Canon t6i is roughly comparable in price. But if I were you, I'd buy a t3i used, and spend the extra money on some good glass. Your lenses matter far more than your camera body for the most part; a pro will replace a body every few years, but you can use great glass with every camera you ever buy, for 20 years or more.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]