FORUMS: list search recent posts

Music Video Workflow - Achieving the film-look but also having slow motion NOOB

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Hill
Music Video Workflow - Achieving the film-look but also having slow motion NOOB
on Apr 18, 2016 at 9:12:06 pm

Hi guys,

Hoping you can help a somewhat hefty noob..

I'm doing my best to get back into creativity from a techie angle - I'm more of a technophobe story teller but I'd like to better my knowledge and understanding. I'm hoping someone can explain to me the following and keep it relatively simple (if possible) for my simple brain to comprehend :)

So to put it simply....

I'm shooting a music video with a C500 DSLR.

I'd like the 'film look' - which I understand should be shot at 24p? 24fps? (or is that a little old skool now?)

But I'd also like the typical slow motion you find in music videos for SOME parts of the narrative story telling.

What should I shoot at? 60fps? 60p? 24p and converted? 60p on a 24fps timeline? Infact I'm even confusing myself between fps and p. Help. (and forgive me)

Timeline settings would be much appreciated also, especially when it comes to mixing speeds.

C500 specs
24.00p for movie production
PAL, NTSC, and 24.00p modes are included as standard. Support for frame rates up to 120p in both 4K and 2K resolution enables high-speed (slow motion) video capture in high resolution.

I have scoured the internet and found pockets of information which fill in gaps of my knowledge but the jargon phases me. Can anyone explain this for dummies?

Appreciate your time folks
x

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Music Video Workflow - Achieving the film-look but also having slow motion NOOB
on Apr 18, 2016 at 10:06:33 pm

Don't use 24.00 frames per second. You need to shoot in the 23.976 setting. If you don't know why, it would take me far too long to explain--there are many, many articles and forum posts out there about the difference.

The short answer is that you can't shoot 23.976 and still get slow motion. You also can't get the 23.976 look while shooting 60p (which is really 59.94. Seriously, look it up!).

Good productions plan ahead of time what frame rate they will use for what shots, and set the camera accordingly for each setup. If you're really a glutton for punishment, do a take of each shot in each framerate. But you'd be better off undertaking some planning.

When you shoot 59.94 (or higher speed, like 120 fps), to get the slow motion effect you have to do a frame rate conversion so that the edit software plays back the frames like a 24p (23.976) clip. Each edit software does this differently, so you'll need to look up how to do that once you get to post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]